Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat -vs- arched MSH

michael_aos

I've got a few Springfield 1911's. For the point of this discussion, I'm comparing the Springfield "Mil Spec" .38 Super -vs- Springfield "Loaded" .40 S&W. Each have had the factory MSH replaced with a S&A MSH / magwell.

When I shoot the .38S (with any ammo, but ~130PF handloads in this example) I seem to shoot low / low-left about 80-90% of the time. If I'm REALLY careful and try really really hard, I can get it to shoot where I'm pointing it. It seems to be very sensitive to my grip and it SEEMED yesterday that if I concentrated on apply more pressure to the bottom of the MSH, it shot more toward the POA.

The Mil-Spec originally shipped with an arched MSH, and the "Loaded" shipped with a flat MSH.

The "loaded" doesn't seem to be NEARLY as grip-sensitive. Shooting ~170PF handloads, it tends to just shoot where I point it without nearly as much effort.

I also spent some time shooting my Browning BuckMark Micro Nickel and it's like a little laser-beam. I just THINK about hitting the target with it, and it just happens.

For example, on a 6" plate-rack at ~12yds, I can get 4.56s from the buzzer (which is good for me) or thereabouts every time but with the .38S ~130PF my best time was 9.98s and it's not uncommon for me to take a MINUTE with several reloads!

I didn't have the .40 S&W to compare times that day. For grins I shot it in 3.14s with my Ruger K10/22T. Under different circumstances I've shot the plate rack in ~6s with the .40 S&W, which might mean something, but not sure what.

So anyway, the question is, could the flat MSH be a factor in why I seem to have such a hard time hitting anything with the .38S?

Mike

Might be as simple as the flat one fits your hand better.

Joel

It seems like they're both "the same" now that I've put S&A flat MSH / mag-wells on them.

It could be the something with the extended beavertail and "memory groove" on the "Loaded" grip-safety.

It just struck me as "odd" how much more difficult the .38S seems to be to shoot accurately than the .40 S&W.

It had me thinking maybe switching from the factory "arched" MSH to the flat MSH was more than cosmetic.

Mike

Michael,

Can you shoot a group with the Super and your reloads? If not, try and find an experienced shooter and let him try the super. If he can shoot a group with it, it isn't likely to be the gun or the ammo. Try and shoot a group using factory ammo --- if that works, it's not the gun.

Basically try to take the variables out of the equation....