Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help with 223 reload process

Husker95

Hey everyone, I need some help with 223 resizing. I am using Dillon dies but don't yet have all the gear for the 550 so am using the dies on my Lyman turret. On my first batch, I FL resized with the expander ball in place and when I seated my bullet, I could push the bullet back into the case with only a little pressure. So, I did some research and thought maybe my expander ball was a shade too big so I took it off and resized another few cases and the bullets still push in too easily.

For what its worth, I am using 55 gr spitzer bullets (without a cannelure) I had left over from my last batch of 22-250 loads and am loading to 2.260.

Any ideas? Can I load in .223 without a cannelured bullet? Is there something i'm missing using Dillon dies in a single stage press?

Thanks guys. Husker

First guess is that you're not sizing enough. The neck sounds oversized still from the last firing. No issue with using the Dillon die in single stage press and the odds of the expander being too big are unlikely. I assume you raised the ram all the way, screwed in the die until it kisses the plate as a starting point. That should do the neck fine although might not resize shoulder/body enough.

Using non cannulered bullets is no problem as neck tension should be plenty adequate. There are lots of arguments about crimp required but neck tension alone should make it very difficult to push the bullet in.

Thanks High Country. I did screw the die all the way down until it kissed the shell holder and then backed out just an 1/8 th of a turn. Isnt that the max extent of neck sizing that I can get? I would think as I screwed the die out it would get less and less neck sizing.

As noted in quite a few threads here, the Dillon sizing dies need to be down ON the shellplate or even up to a 1/2 turn tighter to get a good size. Neck tension can also be a problem after the expansion ball passes thru. Usually trimming on a Dillon trimmer will solve the neck tension problem.

couple of question;

are you using a case guage?

Are you trimming?

Are you using case lube?

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Yes, backing off the plate is less sizing but you want more sizing so as RiggerJJ suggests you might try turning in an 1/8th at a time to overcam slightly.

Just brainstorming and to analyze each part separate. Measure the bullets for proper dimension. Measure the expander for proper dimension. Try sizing with die touching the plate then 1/8th turn at a time in up to the 1/2 turn max. Try without the expander ball then with. When seating make sure seater stem is turned in so the die is not crimping at all to get a true picture of neck tension. Also as Rigger suggested lube appropriately but make sure cases are clean before seating bullet.

If I had to bet screwing in the sizing die will be the solution but I've lost plenty of those bets before.

Thanks guys - I appreciate the help. The bottom of my die is very close to the shell holder, not sure how much further down i can go, but i will give it another look tonight.

Rigger JJ, i am using a guage and case lube but am not trimming cases.

Eventually you will find that you need to trim, its just the nature of of the beast. Anything much longer than max (1.760) will not chamber correctly, kinda like trying to chamber a 38 super round in a 9mm barrel. I normally trim to 1.750 or just a skosh under, some will need it, some won't. Best to just run em all thru the trimmer.

The Dillon trimmer will tighten the neck, which will probably fix your problem of cases swallowing bullets. or a neck sizer after the full length sizer can help, but a trimmer will be in your future...

Rifle loading is a lot different than pistol, kinda like starting over... :)

jj

Hey everyone, I need some help with 223 resizing. I am using Dillon dies but don't yet have all the gear for the 550 so am using the dies on my Lyman turret. On my first batch, I FL resized with the expander ball in place and when I seated my bullet, I could push the bullet back into the case with only a little pressure. So, I did some research and thought maybe my expander ball was a shade too big so I took it off and resized another few cases and the bullets still push in too easily.

Thanks guys. Husker

If you resized your cases without the expander ball and can push the bullet in with your fingers, you have three possibilities.

1. You dies are defective and are not sizing the necks down enough.

2. Your cases have thin neck walls.

3. Your bullets are undersized.

4. All of the above

This could be checked with a set of vernier calipers to eliminate No. 2 & 3

As a side note in over 46 years of reloading I have never had a defective die, but have had bad cases with thin necks.

Edited by bigedp51

Has your problem been resolved?

If not and you have a mic or caliper, measure the un-sized brass neck od and oal. You should find that the neck of your un-fired brass is big enough to insert a bullet and that the oal should be short. IF your sizer is working properly, after sizing, the oal should increase by .005-7 and the neck od should decrease by about .010. If the neck od not decreasing or length not increasing after full length sizing, your sizer either not adjusted properly or die is out of spec or not a 223 sizing die. Do you feel resistance on the down stroke of your press? If your die working properly, you may even feel more resistance on the upstroke than down as the neck id has decreased and tighter as the expander exits the case.

Another check, you could smoke the neck, run it through the sizer and then check the casing. If full length sizing, the smoke should be rubbed off for the full length of the neck.