Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr Bullet Feeder 223 powder check?

Wondering what loaders are doing on a 1050 in 223 loading with a Mr Bullet feeder in regards to checking for a correct powder charge? Is everyone weighting every single round to see any variance. This method seems so slow.

Thanks much Jeff

I think the op is seating and crimping in stages 7 and 8, this only gives him one choice for the feeder #6. Normally #6 is where the PC die goes.

So you either have to do with out the PC die or only use one station after you drop a bullet onto the case mouth.

Mmm I wanna buy a bullet feeder for 223 but am not a fan of giving up the powder check. Only real solution is to weight each round :(.

jmorris I don't know of a die that will seat a bullet and crimp in one. Does such a die exist?

J

Seating and crimping in separate steps is a newer concept than seat/crimp in a single die (I believe...)

Seating and crimping in separate steps is probably more popular now that progressives with enough stations are common place. But this is purely a guess. I'm sure there are plenty of guys one here with decades more reloading experience than me that could give you a real explanation.

So yes such seat/crimp dies exist (I have boxes of old dies I inherited like this). All the die manufacturers still make them.

• 1 month later...

I have had the same problem of running dry on powder while loading 223 with a Mr Bullet Feeder installed.

So once all the parts come in I plan on:

- installing the powder check after the powder drop station

- move MBF bullet dropper one station later

- removing the separate seating and crimping dies

- replace the last station left on the press with a combo seating and crimp die

I will report back on how this works out for me once I get all the stuff in and installed/adjusted and so forth.

I have had the same problem of running dry on powder while loading 223 with a Mr Bullet Feeder installed.

So once all the parts come in I plan on:

- installing the powder check after the powder drop station

- move MBF bullet dropper one station later

- removing the separate seating and crimping dies

- replace the last station left on the press with a combo seating and crimp die

I will report back on how this works out for me once I get all the stuff in and installed/adjusted and so forth.

What combo die are you going with?

J

I HATE combo dies. They are a real PITA to get set up and are affected by more factors than the seperate dies.

If your cases are not trimmed EXACTLY the same, you will have issues with the crimp. Also if you use bullets that are not cannelured, your more likely to crush the case before you get any kind of decent crimp.

I use LEE seating and factory crimp die. If you prep brass separately on the 1050 you can free up some stations, but toolheads arnt cheap!

I HATE combo dies. They are a real PITA to get set up and are affected by more factors than the seperate dies.

If your cases are not trimmed EXACTLY the same, you will have issues with the crimp. Also if you use bullets that are not cannelured, your more likely to crush the case before you get any kind of decent crimp.

I use LEE seating and factory crimp die. If you prep brass separately on the 1050 you can free up some stations, but toolheads arnt cheap!

Not sure how you can free up enough stations to use separate crimp and seat dies as well as powder check and bullet feeder? You need 4 stations after the powder drop and the 1050 only has 3. Doesn't matter that I prep my brass on a separate tool head. If I am missing something please correct me.

Thanks Jeff

Here's a link to my powder check solution. Not going to work for you as you are looking to free up one station but if you scroll down you will see a similar setup only the camera is mounted on the powder drop station. I'm sure that approach works for straight wall but not sure about bottleneck. Maybe you could ask that user if you were interested.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=180414&hl=%2Bcamera+%2Bpowder#entry2002766

Edited by mcracco

RCBS normal dies and several others make dies that seat and crimp in one step. They are slightly more difficult to get set up but not much. It's true that cases must be all the same length for the crimp to be consistent but I don't see how that would be any different in a separate crimp die. Bottom line is I don't crimp rifle and rely on consistent neck tension. Since you don't bell the neck like pistol there is no need. For 223 just skip the crimp die and you have room for the powder check.