Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 617 Help for a problem

Ken_Bird

Good Morning?

I have a S&W 617 and I am shooting it for fun mostly at our club steel challenge match. The problem is when loading two things are happening.

1. It is very hard to load shells with my speed loader, its like the chambers are two tight. I wiggle them around some and finally go it. When released from loader they do not all just drop all the way in. It easy to just run my finger over them and they will drop all the way.

2. When I am through shooting its hard to get the cylinder open and then also hard to eject empties.

Help !

:excl:

Probably one or both of these is happening... You may have dirty chambers, a good cleaning will fix that. You may have dimples on the face of the chambers where the rim of the cartridge seats where the firing pin has hit it from dry firing. In that case you need to get the extra steel out of the chamber with a chamber reamer or careful work with a dremel tool. Also if you use DS-10 speedloaders you can push the rounds all the way in when speedloading. I make all my DS-10 pins the same height so they all seat together. They are alternating in height when you get them.

+1 on the above

About the only thing a bore snake is good for is cleaning the cylinders on a revolver

Also to swage out the dimples from dry firing, brownells, sells a tool for that, well they sell a tool for everything don't they

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/chamber-tools/22-chamber-ironing-tool-prod8869.aspx

For the hard to open cylinder

Check under the extractor star for crude, it don't take much to rise it up slightly and bind the cylinder, just take an old tooth brush and clean out the area, back when I shot revolvers a lot, I carried one in my back pocket

Check your extractor rod if it's loose