Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Working the DA trigger

mcoliver

Recently borrowed a CZ with a nice smooth DA pull and a really clean SA. First 2 days I can work the DA trigger really well. Third day, I'm already comfy with the DA that my sight wobble has greatly lessened but there's a hitch. I'm starting to short stroke the DA pull and only after a few minutes of DA dry fire my finger's starting to stiffen.

What gives? Am I pushing the dry fire practice too much? I haven't even started on the live fire yet. <_<

Help... :(

I think that may be very common. I recall doing this some years ago with similar results. After a while, your finger will be strengthened to the point where this won't happen. Remember, each of your practice sessions probably has more DA trigger pull than an entire match of DA first shots. The important thing is that the sights stay aligned during this exercise. Do not get sloppy in practice, when your finger stiffens, take a break or stop until the next day.

Your brain is telling you that you are about to pull the trigger and its going to be a SA pull. That's what happened to me a few times. I've stood on the line and short stroked it 2 or 3 times before. The cure with me was telling or reminding myself that the first one is going to be long, so I've got to commit to a DA first shot, then its all gravy from there.

In my opinion, which is only backed by a little anatomy and physiology. As the tendons and muscles get fatigued during the longer practice scessions and as muscles release slower than you are telling them to contract. To build the muscle on the other side, the muscle that is straitening the finger, slow down but keep practicing until you can reallly feel the burn and can barely move your finger but force a few more reps. this makes the muscles adapt just like in a weight lifter or body builder.

Okay, been doing this for several days now and it seems trigger and finger speed has improved greatly. Hopefully all that dry fire work can get validated this weekend on the range.

I noticed there are some muscle groups I've hit in the work out. The first time I felt the trigger finger stiffen, I thought it was the finger that just froze. Now, I realized it's more of the muscles in the forearms that are actually involved in the pulling process and they're the ones wearing out.

Out of curiousity, I pulled out the 1911 and worked the SA trigger. I think it just became very clear what you guys have been talking all along about isolating the trigger finger from the other grip process. :)