Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

new to single stack, gun & mag ?

colbyjack

How hard was the front sight install? What height blade? I'm worried cause there's a roll pin in my front sight...... not sure how to remove it.

I got the sight from Dawson Precision. They include an aluminum punch to install it and they have nice videos on the sight. It took me about 30 - 40 minutes to install it myself.
You will need:
- a padded vice to hold your slide (I use two pieces of lumber to pad my vice)
- a 1/16" punch to remove the roll pin that holds on the factory sight (you just tap it out from the top).
- a small triangle file to fit the new sight
- a sharpie to re-color the sight and see where material needs to be removed
- Locktite to make sure your sight stays on.
The Trophy Match uses a 0.180" tall sight. You can choose from 3 different widths (I went with the 0.100" wide). I got the sight and tube of Loctite 620 for $50 shipped.
Z%20-%20Spgfld%201911%20Optic%20Front.jp
Edited by cindynles

I just bought the same gun to replace my SA Loaded. Its a great shooter straight out of the box (even better with a Dawson FO front sight).

cindynles, that's a good looking gun. I agree on the Dawson front sight.

I picked mine up in April and have been happy with it. My Wilson ETM's have ran great.

2tx3.jpg

Thanks guys. Will get it going now. :)

Edit: does it matter which way you drive the sight out? will watch the video later I'm at work. But on the small file I cut the slide to fit the sight? Or do I file sight to fit the slide. Question I'm sure is answered in the video. I'll watch it later. But was just wondering....

I'll go order a punch and file, will check brownells. All my files are to big.

Edited by colbyjack

From the back of the slide, I usually find the sights drift out from left to right (put the punch on the left side of the dovetail and tap it to the right).

I have had the best luck putting a flat file on my bench and filing the bottom of the dovetail of the actual front sight down to fit it into the dovetail on the slide. In some cases, you may need to file the angles on the sight base as well.

Always file the sight base. New sight=~$40 New slide=$Lots

• 3 weeks later...

409590_3532672327730_482722626_n.jpg

I run a trophy match with a dawson FS and factory rear, Sv short straight trigger and trigger job, Dawson Ice magwell,14 recoil spring 18lb main, vz grips, comptac holster and cr speed mag pouches. Love the setup. Sorry about the big picture

If I could do it over I'd either buy just Powermags or wait until Wilson puts the 47D on sale. Labor Day Wilson had theirs for $27. Tripp, Powermag and 47D mags all have components available. If you decide you want to add a mag well like the Dawson Ice you will be able to find new base pads.

Also, the difference between the shooting star and power mags IS worth the difference and IS noticeable. Easier to take apart and stronger spring.