Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oh Sh*t, now what to do?!?!?

Franco79

Those are sleeve anchors. Nasty little buggers. Not much you can do other than drive them down . You could try cutting them off flush with the floor, then getting a a fully threaded bolt. I won't ever uses those things for securing anything.

Those are sleeve anchors. Nasty little buggers. Not much you can do other than drive them down . You could try cutting them off flush with the floor, then getting a a fully threaded bolt. I won't ever uses those things for securing anything.

So a Drop-In Anchor is what I should use?

Absolutely. With the drop in, it sits flush with the top of the concrete, or below the concrete (depending on the depth of the hole). Then all you need are regular bolts to fit. If you ever wanted to move the safe again, remove the bolts, the anchors are flush or below the surface of the concrete, so you can fill them, with the anchor still in there. All you need is the correct size masonry bit, a hammer drill, the anchors (they are also called loxins), hammer, and the set tool. You can improvise on the set tool....something smaller than the threaded portion of the anchor, that you can use to drive the cone down with. If the anchor doesn't want to go the full depth of the hooe you drill, screw the bolt into it, and drive it down. At this point, it can still be removed because you haven't set it, so if the hole isn't deep enough, pull the anchor, drill deeper and set the anchor.

Photo isn't clear enough for me to tell the exact method of expansion used. Were these designed to be anchored by the act of hammering or by tightening the bolts? Are the sleeves threaded their entire length or just the 1/4" deepest in the hole?

From what it looks like, I would back out the bolts, cut the sleeves flush with the floor. I'd pick up some loctite and shorter studs and nuts to use instead of the bolts.

As a licensed professional engineer in the state of IL, I never use any of the anchors stated above because they are rarely installed correctly. I would recommend using a powers wedge bolt (hilti also makes them). It is basically a screw designed for use in concrete. We have found that they are pretty much fool proof when it comes to installation. They can also be removed and reused if the safe ever needed to be moved again. I would recommend using a 1/2" diameter wedge bolt w/ 4" embedment at each hole location.

Which anchors were you having trouble with (front or back? along the wall? next to foundation wall?)? I'll give you my thoughts on that when I get that answer...

http://www.powers.com/product_07246.php

They are anchored by tightening the bolt.

Photo isn't clear enough for me to tell the exact method of expansion used. Were these designed to be anchored by the act of hammering or by tightening the bolts? Are the sleeves threaded their entire length or just the 1/4" deepest in the hole?

From what it looks like, I would back out the bolts, cut the sleeves flush with the floor. I'd pick up some loctite and shorter studs and nuts to use instead of the bolts.

The 2 anchors on the right side if the safe against the wall are the ones giving me issues.

As a licensed professional engineer in the state of IL, I never use any of the anchors stated above because they are rarely installed correctly. I would recommend using a powers wedge bolt (hilti also makes them). It is basically a screw designed for use in concrete. We have found that they are pretty much fool proof when it comes to installation. They can also be removed and reused if the safe ever needed to be moved again. I would recommend using a 1/2" diameter wedge bolt w/ 4" embedment at each hole location.

Which anchors were you having trouble with (front or back? along the wall? next to foundation wall?)? I'll give you my thoughts on that when I get that answer...

You say to use a wedge bolt. The only issue I have had with those are if the hole is not perfect (the bit wobbles a little and makes a bigger hole) then the wedge bolt won't work and I'm back at square one. I'm no professional driller, but I like many others do make mistakes LOL.

The 2 anchors on the right side if the safe against the wall are the ones giving me issues.

They are anchored by tightening the bolt.

So the sleeves are anchored where they need to be, but 2 are rudely protruding above floor level. Take an angle grinder and cut/grind the two offenders flush with the floor. Subtract the lengths of the resultant sleeve pieces from the two as yet unusable bolts and you have the size bolts you need. Go buy them and install. Or am I missing something?

You'll be sorry if you use a wedge bolt. Someone (namely an engineer) wanna tell him why? Once they go in, they can't be removed. Have to be cut off or ground down. Plus, you'd have to cut the excess off the top of the bolt to get the covers back in place...and you can't pull it out once it's in.

There were a lot of pros and cons to what everyone was saying. I bought shorter sleeve bolts and used them without fail. As far as the ones that didn't work, I just left them in place. I don't plan on moving the safe again, so I should be good....... I hope lol