Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Arredondo +6 Glock Mag Extensions

driver8M3

i have the new Glock 17 round 9mm mags with the #5 followers. my new arredondo extension springs will not attach properly to the #5 follower. the connection end of the spring is slightly different. the arredondo spring does fit the follower from my older 10 round mags. i'm able to load these +6 as expected. am i going to have any feeding problems using the older follower on a newer mag?

thanks!

thanks flex. i'll answer my own question. i shot 2 full mags with the older followers tonight without any problems. of course that doesnt say much for the longer term consistency, but i'm glad to see it works.

i emailed ralph about this and he recommended bending the spring a little to fit the new follower. i'll probably go that route, as the bending looks like it would be pretty minor.

by the way, i always shoot production...it's going to be very cool to switch to limited (minor) occasionally and start with 24 rounds in the gun!

I have used the Arredondo springs for Glock on every tipe of follower that Glock makes and llike you I have found that some springs need adjustment. I am now using ISMI Glock springs with my Glock FML tubes that have the Arredondo base pads.

With regards to the followers today http://www.lonewolfdist.com/stockdetail.asp?item=GLO-2183 I am only using the 9mm 10 round follower with all my extended FML/NFML tubes (9mm/10mm). I have found those to work the best.

Raul,

You've likely played with glock followers more than most. I've been usning NHO's +1 followers. I figure you have tried them. How do they compare to the mods that you used to do yourself...and with the newer followers that youi linked to?

Most of my follower trials were done when I was experimenting with Scherer tubes since I was using them to repair some of my existing Glock NFML tubes. What I found was that none of the +10 followers on the market at the time would work reliably with Scherer tubes unless those followers were modified. I found out later to my chagrin that if I used the Glock 9mm 10 round followers they would work just as well as the modified followers so they became my standard competition followers.

With regards to Novak’s +1 follower I found it to be a good follower (Bought one from Tom at the time he built my first Glock Open Gun) but when I factored the cost of the Novak and the Glock 9mm 10 round followers I decided that it wasn’t worth it to me to switch over to the Novak design.

PS

An unexpected side benefit of the Glock 9mm 10 round followers is that I no longer have sporadic problems with the follower sticking inside the tube when I am using any of the magazine extensions/base pads that are currently available on the market.

i emailed ralph about this and he recommended bending the spring a little to fit the new follower. i'll probably go that route, as the bending looks like it would be pretty minor.

Well, the bending looked pretty minor, but I couldn't do it. I'll stick with the old 10-round followers.

• 2 months later...

shot 3 stages using the new extensions.

1st stage, 23 rounds in mag to start...jam after 1st shot.

2nd stage, 22 rounds in mag to start...no jam.

3rd stage, 22 rounds in mag to start...jam after 1st shot.

i'm using a very light 9mm load....very close to 125 pf...with a 13 lb recoil spring with 2 coils clipped off. once i load up a bunch of match ammo (pf around 132) i'll work on the limited setup to see if i can eliminate the jams.

driver,

What kind of jam? IF failure to strip the round from the mag or failure to feed into chamber, the probem may be your recoil spring not the followers or mag springs.

Just to make sure, reinstall your factory recoil rod/spring system and test fire with the same ammo and mag setup. Go back to basics... that's what I do when my kids G22's start acting up.

Then again... what do I know? ;)

Good luck again!

i think they were both failures to feed...but not 100% sure since it was during a match.

i'm pretty sure its a combination of the recoil spring and mag spring not getting along. i already know a factory recoil spring wont work with these light loads (even with 10 round mags).

not a big deal since i dont really play in limited much...

Trey,

Here’s the info you requested

COAL: 1.125 (Glock)

Bullet: 180 Grain Montana Gold RSFP (Prefered) or Golden West TC (Local Jacketed Bullet Manufacturer)

Powder: Hodgdens Longshot but I'm reverting back to N320