Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for Alliant E3 users

BBQDawg

I had been reading of some on here praising the E3 powder and decided to try some. I must say that my first loading of some sample rounds were VERY promising. Based on some loads I read about on here I loaded 4.6gr of E3 with a 230gr S&S LRN, 1.260 OAL, and shot off a rest through my chronograph at 10 yards with my government model S&W E-Series. Shot 5 rounds, 3 of which were almost in the same hole and the other 2 not far outside that group. Tested 5 different loads with 5 different powders and it was without a doubt the most accurate test. I acknowledge some others were very good also, and that deficiencies in their groupings could have been shooter error.

At any rate, I had a high of 876.4 fps, a low of 858.3 fps, an average of 867.9 fps, an extreme spread of 18.09, and a standard deviation of 8.06. It equated to a Power Factor of 199.61. I would rather have a Power Factor of around 173, give or take a little. Has anyone developed a lighter load that would come close to that that would save me some development time, not to mention components?

Thanks.

Edited by BBQDawg

I am using 4.2 of e3, same type bullet and OAL as yours. Very soft and accurate. The BBI coated bullets cut the smoke down significantly, You might want to give them a try also.

Edited by bowenbuilt

I tried the 4.2 gr E3, but still a little strong with 823.2 fps and power factor of 189.33. Today I tried 3.8 gr E3 and really liked it. Averaged 749.3 fps with extreme spread of 19.22 and standard deviation of 7.74 and power factor of 172.339. I also liked a load with 4.5 gr WST which I was more accurate with, but I'm going to load up some more of each load and shoot them. I did not load too many of either one as I had worked up a number of different loads I was shooting. Just going to load up the E3 and WST for next shooting session.