Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA Double Stack 9mm Questions

Outbreak

I have some mag related questions on my RIA Doublestack.

It's the .22TCM/9mm setup. Forget the .22TCM. I will be running almost exclusively 9mm. The idea is I shoot an STI Edge .40 in USPSA but I want to have a high-cap 1911/2011 type setup in 9mm for 3-gun. Power Factor isn't an issue in 3G, and I also don't wanna worry about scratching a $2K+ gun in 3G. The frame appears to be a copy of a Para double-stack frame.

I got a bunch of factory RIA mags (which appear to be Para copies as well), which are 17 rounders. They haven't been shot yet, so I can sell or trade if needed.

I want to put a magwell on the gun, but the factory mags are flush-fit, so no extensions, base pads, or magwells will work. I didn't think this completely through, I know.

Question 1: Are there longer 9mm Para or RIA mags available? If so, how much capacity can I expect?

Question 2: I've heard about STI mags used in Para guns. How does that work (a link will suffice). I know my .40 tubes won't work (can't be cheap and easy, right?)

Thanks for the help!

I have some mag related questions on my RIA Doublestack.

It's the .22TCM/9mm setup. Forget the .22TCM. I will be running almost exclusively 9mm. The idea is I shoot an STI Edge .40 in USPSA but I want to have a high-cap 1911/2011 type setup in 9mm for 3-gun. Power Factor isn't an issue in 3G, and I also don't wanna worry about scratching a $2K+ gun in 3G. The frame appears to be a copy of a Para double-stack frame.

I got a bunch of factory RIA mags (which appear to be Para copies as well), which are 17 rounders. They haven't been shot yet, so I can sell or trade if needed.

I want to put a magwell on the gun, but the factory mags are flush-fit, so no extensions, base pads, or magwells will work. I didn't think this completely through, I know.

Question 1: Are there longer 9mm Para or RIA mags available? If so, how much capacity can I expect?

Question 2: I've heard about STI mags used in Para guns. How does that work (a link will suffice). I know my .40 tubes won't work (can't be cheap and easy, right?)

Thanks for the help!

I'm not sure this is any help, but, you might call Rich at Canyon Creek and as him. He modified a mag release for my Para so I could use STI mags.

• 4 weeks later...

STI made mags that would work in Para's , but STI doesn't make them anymore. They were longer but you will have to find some used ones. I purchased some of the CDNN mags as well but don't have the pistol. Dawson make base pads that work on Para's mags or if you could find enough mags and they were not to expensive, you could cut them and have them welded. I remember a mag that Todd Jarrett had that was made longer and I think that it held 22rds for a 40. Back when I used to shoot a Para 38 super, I had some long mags made by Scott Mulkerin in Ohio. Don't know if Scott would still make the mags for you, but he is a world class revolver man and a great guy.

Tommy Roupe