Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moon Clips & Starline Brass

varminter22

Finally got all I need to load .38 Short Colt for a new (to me) M627 and tried some today.

I bought a bunch of Hearthco moon clips - and have a few "standard" (brand unknown) clips. Using new Starline .38 Short Colt brass.

Also bought the BMT mooner/demooner. Thought I had the perfect set-up.

So, I was surprised today when I could NOT moon eight rounds with the BMT. Simply could not apply enough force to get all eight rounds into a Hearthco clip; I could get six in, but with difficulty, and the last two simply would not go it.

They did load easily with the BMT into the "standard" (brand unknown) moon clips. These clips mic at .022"/.023" thick, and loaded rounds were a bit sloppy in them.

The Hearthcos mic at .025" - and could not get the Starline brass into them with the BMT.

So, NOW what do I do?? Ditch the BMT? Get the "pliers" type mooner?

I bought a couple of thousand pieces of the Starline brass, so I don't want to switch brass. And who else makes .38 SC brass?

Edited by varminter22

• 3 weeks later...

I would first try and determine the problem with the fit. Thickness may not be the problem. I would put in a single case and determine why it is tight. Thickness of Clip OR clip hole diameter.

I had some 686 "SIX Shot" moon clips that I had a problem with. I ended up making some adjustments to the clips with a drimmel tool to get them to work better.

Bob

Problem solved.

I contacted Mr Dave Hearth. He requested I send a clip and a few pieces of brass.

It turns out my NEW production Starline brass is thicker in the groove and requires a thinner clip.

Mr Hearth very graciously traded and sent proper sized clips - and quickly!

Many thanks to Dave Hearth.

I ordered clips specifically for starline brass and they work great.

I too ordered clips specifically for Starline brass.

But my new manufacture Starline brass apparently has thicker rims/grooves.

Thankfully, Mr Hearth fixed me right up with proper clips. (Some pieces of brass are still rather difficult to get into the clips (with BMT mooner/demooner.))

I got a batch from Dave and had the same problem the first time I loaded them. Had to use pliers to get the last 2-4 in. But the next loading they all worked just fine. My guess is there were some burrs on the edges. They are all working great now.