Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Duty One 9mm Impressions

PSSOH22

I just picked up a Duty One 2013 with the new funky serrations. At first glance, I didnt know what to think but Im starting to like the looks of them.

I got this gun for ESP and overall Im liking it, but the verdict is still out on the recoilmaster. Ive talked to people who like it and vice versa. Ive been shooting some 124 lcn w/ 3.9 Solo 1k through it and Ive had a few malfunctions. Seems that most are due to the light recoil. They meet power factor and ive never really had issues through my Eagle or 34 so Im not sure what to think. If I grip too high on the gun, and contact the slide whatsoever, i can make the gun malfunction. When it runs, there is no recoil what so ever, but the action of the gun seems kind of sluggish at times. Its tough to explain because it is so much different than anything ive used in the past.

So what do you guys think I should do? Kick my powder charge up a bit or just ditch the RM for a standard guide rod?

Sounds like you may have some spare parts sitting around the house. Ditch the RM and try it with a GI set up or similar. If its a known good load, might as well try it.

My spartan would run and run on steel challenge loads with stock recoil set up.

Rob,

Got any pics of that bad boy?

I would ditch the recoil master. The simple fact of the matter is that 9mm guns (.45 as well obviously) can be made to run just fine on single stage springs. MY Springfield Loaded 9mm runs like a raped ape with 11 lb recoil springs.

He was having FTFeeds if he had a high grip and makes contact with the slide.

If he doesn't have the parts, we'll probably swap guns when he picks up his Eagle from me.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Quack

I will post some pics when i get a chance. OAL is around .130 and the Solo is at 3.9. I cannot remember what the PF was. I forgot to record it, but they did make PF at the past 2 states that they were chrono'd at. I will be bumping up thought to probably 4.2-4.3 on my next run though. Im finding that the lighter the more sluggish it feels, but those still arent my issues. I completely understand why people are asking, but i think i am more the cause. I also had a few FTE's where the case didnt even try to come out of the chamber. Im sure this was due to powder popping out or something when rotating on the 650 but this has never happened through my 34. I may have just never had the same problems with any rounds through my 34, but I doubt it.

Im going to stick with it for awhile and keeping getting some rounds through it and see what happens. Im not going to be seriously competing with this for the rest of the season, all my remaining matches are in CDP. But i'll definitely be playing with it when I'm not practicing and ill shoot it on my reshoots

• 9 months later...

Mine runs fine with 124 grain RN Frontier CMJ bullet, 6.1 grains of HS-6 at 1.150 OAL. PF is 133. I put Techwell grips and mag well on it and it weighs in at 42.8 ounces with Wilson 10 shot magazines and fits the box. Looks legal for USPSA.

Edited by mgardner