Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to EAAs - Should I get a small framed 9x19 witness?

cjfung10

I’ve been doing some lurking throughout the past few months and I want to say thanks to everyone on these forums!

Anyways, I was hoping to get some feedback on an EAA Witness 9mm circa 1995, small frame via serial #. (I really want a CZ75 B or SP-01 as they’re on the CA DOJ handgun roster and typically easier to come by, not these days though). I have an opportunity to get the witness in California on consignment for 350 without any mags (400 OTD)

The gun definitely needs a good cleaning (don’t think the original owner cleaned it much). However, the exterior of the gun looks pretty good for an 18 year old gun. The trigger doesn’t nearly feel as good as a CZ but that may just be due to the fact that it looks like it hasn’t’ been cleaned much nor does it look like it has any trigger work.

Think I should get it? If I do, I’ll need mags, probably some trigger work, grips, and maybe sights?

Any info/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys,
Chris

small frame 9mm.....large frame is for .38 super and .40

Small frame pistols can be chambered for .22lr, 9mm (9x19 and 9x21) and 40S&W.

Large frame pistols come in .22lr, 9mm (9x19 and 9x21), 40 S&W, .38 Super, .45 acp, and 10mm.

I like the small frame tanfoglio pistols; they fit my hand better than the large frame.

Mags for the small frame are the same as the CZ75. The front sight usually isn't replaceable on the older small frame pistols. Most of the parts for the older small frames are still available.

Thanks for the info guys. Are CZ75 and EAA small framed 9mm mags interchangeable both ways? (Meaning EAA small framed mags fit CZ75s and CZ75 mags in EAA small frames)

Also, are grips interchangeable as well?

djb25 - I think you're right on the front sight not being replaceable. Any idea if EAA imports small frame conversion kits that have front sights that can be replaced

kneelingatlas - I'm actually in San Diego. It'd be great if you can. :bow:

Thanks again,

Chris

Edited by cjfung10

Last time I checked, EAA had some small frame 9mm conversions available, the mags can go back and forth, although some aftermarket mags don't fit either without adjustment. The grips are a definite MAYBE; there are little tweeks between years and models, but for the most part: yes.

• 3 weeks later...

So I put the EAA small framed in jail a couple days ago. Thanks goes out to kneelingatlas for lending me his mag to test fire it before I jailed it.

Now to purchase my own mags - I hear the best way is to call EAA to give them the serial, and ask for some mags for it. At some point I'd like to get a CZ75 B / SP-01 so I've been doing some digging to find out if the mags are interchangeable. Is there's a slight dimension difference between the magazine latch notch on the 75B mags vs EAA witness mags? (I believe that's what I read)

I'm a little new to EAAs, think I should get anything else with it from EAA? New set of springs, pins, etc?

I ordered a bunch of tanfog mags for my stock 3 and a bunch of mecgar mags for my cz PCR. The tanfog mags work in both guns but the mecgar mags just barely don't lock in to the stock 3. I took a dremel with a coarse stone to the top of the left magazine catch hole (if you're looking at the mag from the front) to take just a tiny bit of material off. Now it locks into both guns. Fair warning though, i haven't used the mag in either gun for live shooting, but it worked flawlessly in both guns hand cycling the action.