Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stippling/checkering Sig plastic grips

Obsucrem

Has anyone had any experience stippling or checkering factory plastic sig grips? I have a set of G10 Piranhas that I love on my X-Five but I'm really enjoying how thin my p220 ST is with the factory plastic thin grips. My only complaint is that I wish they had a bit more grip. Also does anyone have any experience with the aluminum grips? I remember them being really thing but I've never compared then with plastic thin-grips. Thanks!

I've stippled a handful of pairs and they've turned out working pretty well. I'm not sure I would have worked up the gumption to try it on a polymer pistol but with the removable $15 stocks, I bucked up. The finer textured pair is actually very similar in texture to courser grip tape. The other I did with a dremel before purchasing my wood burner. They work well also and are actually less sharp and a bunch better against the skin. I couldn't wear the finer textured ones IWB for very long without getting chaffed significantly, FWIW.

Couple of pics:

photo_zps684f951d.jpg

photo_zps5109ead9.jpg

Edited by taadski

I did the ones on my All Around. It looks much like the top picture posted by taadski. I liked it enough not to spend money on fancy ones.

I did put some skate tape on the front strap too.

Craig

Good to know, my G10s were awesome but I don't know if I can bring myself to drop that kind of cash again. Do you guys just take the iron strait to the plastic or do you douse them in WD40 before hand?

I did the ones on my All Around. It looks much like the top picture posted by taadski. I liked it enough not to spend money on fancy ones.

Craig

Good to know, my G10s were awesome but I don't know if I can bring myself to drop that kind of cash again. Do you guys just take the iron strait to the plastic or do you douse them in WD40 before hand?

Craig

Yeah, hot soldering iron and a gentle touch on dry grips.

• 3 months later...

I've done several sets now. They're almost TOO aggressive the way I do them, with a narrow pointed iron laid down onto the grip at about a 30* angle to the grip surface. But after a month or two, they wear down the sharpest edges and get REALLY nice. I'll try to put up a picture or two tomorrow...

Does anyone mask (or just not stipple) certain areas of their grips when they do this. I have found I avoid some of the area near the top of the grip on the left side (where the inside of my thumb would contact), and I don't stipple at all on the top 3/4" to 1" of the right side grip, where my strong side trigger finger goes. These help comfort and also help the gun "rotate" when you need it to to get to the mag release.

Also, I use the skateboard / grip tape on the front strap too, but let me share a piece of advice that worked very well for me. Take the grips off, and put the tape on the front strap, rolling it onto the side / grip surfaces. Now put the grips back on, clamping the edges of the grip tape so they can not possibly peel. Now apply a heat gun to help the adhesive. If you do both of these things, that adhesive will NEVER come off unless you want it to....