Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg 930 SPX, Nordic +4, What length should I cut the spring to?

abishai

Hi guys,

I have a Mossberg SPX with the Choate +2 and am going to be replacing the Choate Mag Extension with the Nordic +4. Can anyone give me an idea what length I should expect to cut the Nordic spring to past the tube?

Thanks much!

Creepers advice is good. It's tricky. Don't cut it too short! Nordic has instructions with their extensions I believe. Also...you have to find out what your individual gun needs the setup to be. Cutting 1 coil at a time is a headache but better than cutting too short. Real trick is seeing how it runs at the range with a certain spring length and not just how it cycles at home.

Also, is the Nordic clamp just for the addition of a rail? Or do I need that for physical support of the mag tube at a particular length?

Update: the description on Midway answered my question. I suppose I mean, you think I'll need one for the minor plus/minus 2 in. that it will extend past my 18.5 barrel?

Edited by abishai

I suppose I mean, you think I'll need one for the minor plus/minus 2 in. that it will extend past my 18.5 barrel?

Ah... what? :huh: Shoot us a link to this Midway discription... so we don't have to search for it. (I'm incredibly lazy :P )

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/352914/nordic-components-shotgun-magazine-extension-tube-barrel-clamp-with-picatinny-tac-rail-for-mossberg-only-12-gauge-aluminum-matte

Aside: One of my biggest frustrations is that the Nordic site's product descriptions are severely lacking in detail for a company that makes precision firearms components. As it is, had to send the +3 back (trying to achieve 8+1), as well as the follower which the site states won't work with "older Mossbergs". Well, I thought I was fine since my 930 is brand new. Wrong.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/352914/nordic-components-shotgun-magazine-extension-tube-barrel-clamp-with-picatinny-tac-rail-for-mossberg-only-12-gauge-aluminum-matte

Aside: One of my biggest frustrations is that the Nordic site's product descriptions are severely lacking in detail for a company that makes precision firearms components. As it is, had to send the +3 back (trying to achieve 8+1), as well as the follower which the site states won't work with "older Mossbergs". Well, I thought I was fine since my 930 is brand new. Wrong.

Agreed. I recently purchased a new style extension for my Benelli. All the pictures showed it with a clamp. I arrived with no clamp, wtf? Reading the description, way at the bottom it said, clamp sold separately. My bad for not reading fully, but it was slightly misleading. On the plus side, shipping was fast and it works great.....

So I have the +4 installed, and I cut it to 15 inches to start, and it took 8 right off the bat. Should I stop cutting, or is it possible that the Spring is too tight?

When I gently hand cycle it, about 25% of the time it fails to pull the first round out of the tube. But it seems fine when I cycle it hard and fast by hand. So the question is, is there any telltale signs that the spring is too tight while manually cycling at home? Just don't want to cut any further before getting to the range, unless the problems noted are reason enough to continue cutting.

Hand cycling won't give you much of any indication of what will happen. Take it to the range, fire it and make sure it cycles with ALL types of ammo you use and go from there. Mine sits at about 13inches past the tube on an 8+ and cycles everything so I left it alone.