Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's going on here?

Nimitz

Just finished shooting our club's annual classifier match this weekend and the same thing happened that has happened the last several classifiers I've shot, namely that my match time is significantly faster than any practice run I've ever done, with the same points +/- 1 or 2.

Examples: fastest I ever managed Times Two in training was 10.8 secs and at Area 6 I did it in 9.0.

This weekend I shot El Pres in 7.32 and in training the fastest was 8.6

Fluffy's Revenge was in 4.15 and in training I couldn't break 5.5

So what gives? I would think I should be able to shoot my fastest times in training where there is no pressure? Maybe I'm not pushing hard enough in training? If I always performed my best at matches it might make sense but this is not the case ...

yeah, no argument. It just seems odd that I can never get a super fast time in training. It's at a point where I look at my times in training & then when I see that classifier I expect to be faster than that at a match.

What happens when you try to push to achieve similar times in practice? Are you not able to do achieve the same results, and the wheels fall off? Sounds like you may just be underestimating yourself in practice...

Not sure you are the same but when I am doing drills I am analyzing every movement and constantly focusing on different aspects of shooting trying to feel stuff out. In a match you just relax and shoot it tends to be smoother. For example, I have slung a magazine past my gun in dryfire and during practice. I can't imagine getting wound tight enough for this to happen in a match.

Agreed, I actually have started to do that very recently and have noticed some positive changes. That is something you can help me with in Oct during your Fl class which I'm in ...