Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handicapped Shooters

BigDave

A couple of weeks ago, a guy at East Ancension Parrish Practical Shooters put on a show.  The guy has some sort of handicap (its anything but) with his right arm and hand.  Anyway, he shoots stong hand only in all of his stages.  He has had a platform of sorts that sits on his belt that holds his two magazines upright (rounds up) on his belt.  When he goes for a mag change, he dumps the spent mag, and then slams his gun on top of the ready magazine.  Guys and gals, this guy can shoot.  He kicked my butt (which isn't saying much at all) and damn near everyone there except the M's and the one GM at the match.  It was inspiring.

I have a lot of work to do.

(Edited by BigDave at 4:11 pm on Nov. 7, 2002)

Awesome story.

This is another true story.  My first ever IPSC match I had jumped right past all the entry level stuff and went out and bought a new SVI, Safariland belt, holster amd mag holders and was ready to take on the world.  Well did I ever have a rude awakening.  Another guy there, nicknamed "Hollywood", who had a birth defect and had VERY limited use of his left hand, came out to shoot.  He was shooting his single stack .45acp.  Well not only did he kick my butt up and down the range, he also beat a good many other people.  I came in dead last by the way  :-)

A few years ago I attended one of John Farnam's classes. Another attendee was a Vietnam vet with one leg. No prosthetic, just a pinned up pants leg. At the start signal for every drill, he'd drop his one crutch, draw his 1911 .45, balance on one leg, and go to town. It was frickin' incredible.