Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Comp and slid relation

Blujay291

I know a few guys have answered this, I did a search to find out. But what I have been told is a good gap is a couple of thos between slide and comp. plus a one degree cut on the slide or comp. if they touch it might cause one of the two to crack. Hope this helps

Chuck Rodgers uses .005 at a minimum and I was going off of his recommendation. But your input is greatly appreciated and I will increase the gap. I am going to shoot it once it is done to see how fast the gap closes and remove material as needed.

I remeasured the gap and it is .004 to the hybrid rib and .006 to the slide.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

Thanks so much guys I've got about .006 now I will shoot it the check and remove material as necessary. I think my work came out very good I have .050 of lug engagement and it locks up like a vault with no contact between the barrel and comp in battery or during it cycle. I really envy those who get to do this for a living, this would be my dream job, ipsc/uspsa v

Gun builder :-)

One more question, the slide I'm using is new, but it was installed on my older frame. The slide went on the frame without having to file/lap at all. The question is do I need to do anything to the rails on either the slide or frame to smooth them out, I dont want to lap them because the fit is already a little looser than perfect, not terrible but I don't want to make it any looser, so should I be ok to run it as is because the slide travel feels pretty smooth?