Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Issue sync'ing NST to iPad

BostonBullit

I picked up a NST the other night and followed a couple of threads here to get it rooted and Practiscore installed on it. Not being a droid guy I fumbled around a bit but I got everything up and running and was able to use it in the rotation to score a match at our club yesterday. I gave the nook to Steve_P since he's used to using them at his club and all went swimmingly during the match. unfortunately an issue cropped up after the match when I tried to sync to the iPad master. The nook will show up on the sync screen of the iPad for a few seconds (10-15) and then disappear. it didn't do this during the initial sync to get the setup from the iPad, only started after the match (no, I'm not blaming you Steve). if I put the code from the iPad into the NST and hit sync it will show up in the iPad sync menu for a few ticks and then disappear again. it did the same when I was on the sync screen of my iPhone. if I put the NST code into the iPad and hit sync it tells me it can't find it. the only way to get it to show up in the sync screen again is to move around the app on the NST and then go back into the sync menu.

I was thinking I would have to manually transcribe the scores out of it into another device but decided to try something else first. I fired up Practiscore on an old spare Galaxy Tab 7 that I had and sync'd it from the nook. all the match info and scores came over into the galaxy. then I pulled the scores off the galaxy into the iPad.

Anyone seen behavior like this before?

NST Practiscore version: 1.1.11

iPad Practiscore version: 1.5.10

Galaxy Table Practiscore version: 1.1.11

thanks,

Peter

Peter, I've not run into this, and I'm using the same versions.

When you were having problems with the NST/iPad, were you using the same access point as when you first didn't have trouble and when you synced the NST/Galaxy?

This sounds a lot like an issue of the NST or iPad associating and disassociating from the network.

--jc

Yes, same access point. I have a verizon "jetpack" access point that I bring to the range to link all the devices up and that's what I used to do the initial sync after registration. the NST connected right away when I turned it back on after the match but started dropping out when on the sync screen. I tried it all again at home using the wifi there and got the same results.

I have both devices with me at work, I'll turn the jetpack on and bring up the connected devices menu, then connect the ipad and NST in various orders and see how the number of connections changes.

I found that if I use the browser that comes with the "new easier way to root" thread setup it brings up barnsandnoble.com fine but if I go to other sites the NST reboots. something's not working right :blush:

That's my rooting package of choice and everything works fine (except browsing; I assume that any rooted nook is going to have a broken browser and broken email). Is it possible for you to try it with a regular wireless router. My wife has one of those mifi's, but I never tried to connect devices to it with the idea that they could see one another. Thought all that thing did was give you access to the internet.

I tried from my home router Bill, same issue unfortunately. good to know the browsing thing is expected behavior though, I can eliminate that variable.

not sure if all mifi devices have this functionality but it's really neat because I could, if I didn't want to actually shoot in the match, walk around the pits with the thing in my pocket and pull scores to the master device whenever I like. no worries about signal range or AC power. very handy.

Just ran a test before lunch. I can sync a new match both ways so it's something with this specific match that's causing the trouble. I didn't see the NST drop off the wifi network after disappearing from the sync screen on the iPad. This match had 45 shooters when I was trying to do the after match sync and I've since entered 20 re-shoots (special classifier match). I posted the match to Practiscore.com. Club NE26, July 2013 Hopkinton Heavy Hitters Special Classifier.

Ok, here's an update:

thanks to the very well thought out functionality of Practiscore taking a backup before every sync I was able to play around a bit. I loaded the initial backup that I took manually after setting the match up and the NST was able to send over its scores without issue. So I started loading the backups in order until I hit the problem.

Transfer after initial setup only, no shooter registrations in iPad - Worked.

Transfer after all shooters registered but no other scoring devices - Worked.

Transfer after first scoring device (iPhone 4S) had uploaded scores - Worked.

Transfer after second scoring device (iPhone 5) had uploaded scores - Failed.

there are 21 shooters worth of scores in the master device and the NST doesn't like something about that last sync. I'll have to run some tests this evening when I have all but one of the scoring devices available and see if I can pin down if it's just one devices data that's causing the issue or what.

I picked up a NST the other night and followed a couple of threads here to get it rooted and Practiscore installed on it. Not being a droid guy I fumbled around a bit but I got everything up and running and was able to use it in the rotation to score a match at our club yesterday. I gave the nook to Steve_P since he's used to using them at his club and all went swimmingly during the match. unfortunately an issue cropped up after the match when I tried to sync to the iPad master. The nook will show up on the sync screen of the iPad for a few seconds (10-15) and then disappear. it didn't do this during the initial sync to get the setup from the iPad, only started after the match (no, I'm not blaming you Steve). if I put the code from the iPad into the NST and hit sync it will show up in the iPad sync menu for a few ticks and then disappear again. it did the same when I was on the sync screen of my iPhone. if I put the NST code into the iPad and hit sync it tells me it can't find it. the only way to get it to show up in the sync screen again is to move around the app on the NST and then go back into the sync menu.

I was thinking I would have to manually transcribe the scores out of it into another device but decided to try something else first. I fired up Practiscore on an old spare Galaxy Tab 7 that I had and sync'd it from the nook. all the match info and scores came over into the galaxy. then I pulled the scores off the galaxy into the iPad.

Anyone seen behavior like this before?

NST Practiscore version: 1.1.11

iPad Practiscore version: 1.5.10

Galaxy Table Practiscore version: 1.1.11

thanks,

Peter

Yes, I've seen it now, too, in testing a data synch hassle today. With my setup when this was happening, the android would flash on the ios list for a split second and then drop back off, and putting in the synch code (which should not be necessary at all in iOS) didn't work. It resolved itself after awhile.

Not "flushing", "flashing", as in it appears for a split second on the iOS synch list and then immediately falls back off. The wifi indicator stays on steady on the nook. It also wasn't happening today with the 1.2.0 testing and as I said, resolved itself yesterday after awhile with 1.1.11.