Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RT 1200 Trim/Size die issues

Following typical instructions:

1) Screw the die down until it makes contact with the shell plate. Unscrew 1/2 turn. The first picture is what I get. You can barley notice but about 3/4 of the way down the neck you can see a bulge.

post-34074-0-58405000-1373180899_thumb.j

2) Screw die down until the obvious bulge is at the bottom of the neck

post-34074-0-36098700-1373181025_thumb.j

3) I Now insert the brass into my JP Enterprise case gauge. The brass is about .002 high

post-34074-0-11274800-1373181289_thumb.j

4) My thought process is that the brass is a little to big and the die needs to be brought down just a hair. I screw the die down 1/16 to an 1/8th of a turn and this is what happens.

post-34074-0-11615200-1373181429_thumb.j

What exactly is happening? Should I just be happy with the brass being .002 high?

Edited by cworks

The brass protruding that far probably won't chamber and fire, so you have to get to the bottom of this.

I size/trim .223 brass, and my 1200 die is screwed down until it touches the shellplate, then DOWN another 1/8 turn (i.e. the press cams over center). I also pre-size in station 1 using an RCBS neck sizer, so that may be helping. Also, I make sure the shellplate is fully populated with brass before I start checking the dimensions of the sized/trimmed brass (makes for more consistent operation).

Edited by StealthyBlagga

The brass protruding that far probably won't chamber and fire, so you have to get to the bottom of this.

I size/trim .223 brass, and my 1200 die is screwed down until it touches the shellplate, then DOWN another 1/8 turn (i.e. the press cams over center). I also pre-size in station 1 using an RCBS neck sizer, so that may be helping. Also, I make sure the shellplate is fully populated with brass before I start checking the dimensions of the sized/trimmed brass (makes for more consistent operation).

Any thoughts on why screwing the die further down is causing to brass to fail the JP case gage? When I have my Dillon Sizing/Depriming die screwed in to far the brass sits to low in the case gage. I am using a Dillon universal Depriming die in station 1 and RT 1200 in station 3.