Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

powder metering variances for 223

usmc90

Just started loading 223 for my AR with IMR 4064 powder..found it to be a bit inconsistant in the charge ..sorry im using the dillon 650 with dillon hopper..

So my question is this , What is an acceptable variance in powder charge with that powder?? or is there a rule of thumb i missed somewhere??

Seems my charges go lower every couple rounds made

IMR 4064 being a longer extruded powder is pretty tough to get to meter accurately. There are so many powders that meter much better/accurate unless you are just stuck on using it I would switch and save the aggravation.

There is no rule of thumb and as long as you are not close to max it will not cause any problem except possible accuracy issues that may hinder your longer range efforts.

The Benchmark and Reloder 15 will meter well and Varget does OK.

AR Comp is a relatively new powder that meters great and works well with those bullet weights. CFE223 is another that works well with those bullet weights and meter's very accurately.

I like IMR4064 as I use it in .243 for lighter bullets and use a RCBS ChargeMaster to throw accurate loads.

I use 4064 for 30-06. Seems to meter fairly well on my 550. Hold the handle down for an extra second to make sure the full load has dropped. If not, you can throw light. I also use H-4895 and find that it meters better. The Hogden powder has smaller granules.