Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pardon my ignorance, but....

Shopping for an optic at the moment and based on what I have read here and other places I'm pretty sold on a MTAC

That being said I also came across a Hi Lux CMR and seems to be well liked in other places

Of the two is there a clear winner for 3-gun?

Also, and here is the really ignorant part, do I need to get lens covers for either optic? Last time I bought an optic was when I was a kid and it was for my Ruger 10/22 and it came with some cheap end caps, but I have no idea if that is still done or not. Long run I plan to get a nice optic cover, but my budget is being stretched enough just getting the optic and mount.

Burris is definitely brighter, but the Hi-lux has a pretty decent reticle for longer range shooting. The HiLux reticle is a bit finer, so its easier to see smaller targets at a distance.

And, I've got the Burris 1-4 NON-MTAC, and I don't think the extra $100 gets you much extra.

Edited by wgj3

I'd vote the MTAC - it is a favorite in this community.

As far as lens caps, I'd suggest just getting a scope bra (Butler Creek makes one for $10 (I think)). You can get one from most big box sporting good stores

The MTAC is the clear favorite by all accounts that I have read, but if my Racemaster holster is a no go for FNH rules then I will have to go with something else so I can swing a Bladetech as well. If that is so would I be better off with a TAC30 or the Hi Lux?

I was sold on the MTAC till I got a chance to use a vortex viper 1-4x24. For me the vortex was the way to go. I like the illumination better and the over all clarity. It is a little higher but worth it IMHO.

I was sold on the MTAC till I got a chance to use a vortex viper 1-4x24. For me the vortex was the way to go. I like the illumination better and the over all clarity. It is a little higher but worth it IMHO.

Vortex is too high for my budget and I am trying to get all set up so I can make my first match on the 20th. Friend offered to loan me an EOTech with a magnifier for the match, but I am trying to avoid it if I can. I have thought of using the borrowed optic and at the end of July picking up a Vortex Viper PST. I want to get something I will be happy with and will work for who knows how long so I can avoid wasting my money on a bad product. Being on a tight budget I have to do all I can to avoid the buy twice cry once scenario. Some of it hinges on whether or not my DAA Racemaster holster is ok under the FNH rule set, still trying to get a solid yes or no.

For run and gun, the Tac30 with its heavy, bright reticle seems better, but for the longer range stuff that seems to comprise the majority of the rifle portions of bigger 3-gun matches, I think the CMR reticle would be at least as good if not better. I shot Task Force Dagger a few weeks ago, and I don't even think the illumination was helpful/needed. It was all about knowing your holds out to 400+ yds.

If possible I would love to see some pics looking through the optic for a CMR, MTAC and Tac30

I saw some on another website for other optics (mostly the high end ones) but not these ones