Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Size Matters?

I am relatively new to pistol shooting. What size group would the average D class or IDPA Marksman shoot at 25yds slow fire? I am trying to figure out when the basic grip and trigger control is OK and it's time to start pushing more speed and movement.

I would think that a 6-8 inch group would be quite acceptable at that level. But action pistol sports involve so much more than what is needed to shoot a decent group. More important wpuld be how quickly you could draw from holster and engage 25 yd target with 2-6 rnds, reload ("speed" or "with retention" depending on which game you wanna play) and put 2-6 more rnds on target and keep all hits in the "middle"

7 yd "Bill drill" under 6 seconds (all hits in A/O) may be a place to start.

You can not separate accuracy and speed in action shooting. You must learn to shoot accuractly (90-95% of available points) at speed. Having said that, if you are new to shooting a pistol you must first develop the fundamental pistol shooting marksmanship skills before you do anything else or you won't get any better. Proper grip, body

Position, arm position, stance, mtrigger press, sight management and recoil control. And honestly, 6-8" groups at 25 yds means you have work to do. After that you then develop you ability to stand and shoot accuractly at speed and then finally develop your ability to move and shoot accuractly at speed.

Unfortunately 99% of shooters never follow this advice because they got into this sport because it's a lot of fun to run around and shoot fast ....

BTW, the above advice comes from the top instructors like Stoeger, Anderson & Seeklander and is not something Incame up with. However, I have followed their advice and it does work. I picked up a pistol for the first time 17 months ago and finished dead last in my first match and my first classifier was at 14%. The most recent classifier I shot at Area 6 in April was at 64% ....

Learning to train effectively was the most important thing I've done, not what drills to do or how often to train, etc ....

Oh, almost forgot .... Dry fire is where you learn 90% of your gun handling skills and should be done at least 3-5 times a week in addition to your live fire time ... And it doesn't cost a penny.

You want a sub one second draw, 1 sec reloads and .2 splits and transitions? It will never happen without an intensive dry fire program ...

FYI - After you have gone thru 4 or 5 - 5 gallon buckets fo ammo all your questions will be answered. By You!!!!

IF you wanna be good, shot a lot, shot often, be SAFE. JMO

EM knotty things on top thu pistol keep em aligned up straight, it really helps.

Perry

Shoot all the matches you can,that is the best experience you can learn from. Once your gear is comfortable,work on your first shot on target ....Learn the reaction when the timer goes off in your ear,get comfortable with that initial start. Make ready,shooter ready,stand by,BEEP focus on first target Focus on first target,draw put the hole where you focused. When you have confidence in that first stage of shooting any of the different disciplines,the follow up shot will be second nature. Dry fire,draw dry fire,draw first shot,drop mag ,reload dry fire...move thru the house shoot every light switch and door knob from room to room. Good luck! Gotta go dry fire some