Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question on Recoil Springs for Colt 1911 LW Commander

BBQDawg

Though I'm getting a little longer in the teeth age wise, I am relatively new to shooting as much as I do and reloading. I'm having an issue with failures to feed the last round of my magazines with my reloads primarily, though some occasionally with factory. I shoot all 230 gr loads, including reloads and factory. I shoot a 1911 Colt LW Commander XSE that Alchemy Custom Weaponry put their Hand of Doom Carry package work to. I shoot 230 gr Lead Round Nose bullets behind 4.5 gr of Titegroup. It is a soft shooting load that I have found to be very accurate with my gun. My reloads are averaging 806.1 fps on my chronograph. I have marked the mags when I have issues and many of the mags are repeat offenders, but some mags will fail this round, not fail the next round, and maybe a different mag or two will fail that round. However, when I shoot those same reloads in one of my government model 1911's there are no failures. I have then shot Speer Lawmen 230 gr TMJ through the same mags with no failures. I am told I have a Wolff 18lb recoil spring in the Commander. I have been told I need to possibly make my reloads a little hotter; and then I have also been told I might need a heavier recoil spring. I don't know what to do and was hoping someone on here could tell me. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I can't answer the question as to the COAL right now as all of the information is recorded at the friend's house where we do the recording. I presume the COAL is the overall length? I know the OAL is a little shorter than the books suggest as that's what it took to be able to hand cycle the gun. As to the mags the ones I was having problems with are some Colt factory mags and some Chip McCormick Power mags. All my magazines are 8 round magazines with some being the above two brands, plus some Wilson Combat ETMs. I haven't counted lately but I've got an estimated 25-30 of the mags.

Since posting the problem I have continued to research all the forums looking for solutions. Don't know that I've found it, but have run across a number of suggested possible issues. I had ordered and installed new springs in some of the primary mags with issues, and have ordered a Wolff 16 lb recoil spring. Also I had started using Frog Lube and had read it might be leaking or running down into the mags which might slow the slide action. I have discontinued use of the Frog Lube (had not really been that overly impressed with it anyway) and have cleaned all the mags. Did all but install new recoil spring as it hasn't arrived yet, but haven't been back out to shoot yet. Won't have a chance to do that again before Saturday.

I will be trying out the new mag springs before the lighter recoil spring as the new mag springs have been installed and ready to go when I shoot again this weekend. The new recoil spring won't be in until early next week. If the mag and recoil springs don't work, I might increase the powder in the reloads to make them a little hotter, which was another suggestion. I really don't want to have to make them hotter, however, as I really like the softer recoil of the present load and the accuracy. The max load is 4.8 grains, which I tried some samples of before settling in with the 4.5 grains.

Edited by BBQDawg