Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HEARING LOSS

sweetback

If a competitor has partial hearing loss and can't always hear when a plate is hit (.22 or center fire) is there a rule in steel challenge that allows a range officer/timer to YELL miss every time the competitor

misses a plate? Even though said competitor has electronic muffs on and a hearing aid.

This issue actually came up a local match this past Sunday.

I was the RO on the squad (and match MD..)

One competitor was having an issue calling his shots and could not see the hits on the plates (22lr). He also could not hear the ding/ring of the plates. I could tell was getting frustrated.

He asked if I would call the misses (Btw - Some of our plates are dead - no ring).

Normally I don't coach while ROing.

But I did with this shooter since it was not a Major Match and I wanted to help him have a positive experience.

Good question for a Major match.. I need to read the rules again...

That is considered coaching and I don't believe that is still in the the latest rules anymore. There a section on disabilities (related to equipment) and as an MD, if I was asked if the RO could call the misses, I would allow it at a level 1 match.

Yeah, I don't see it anymore either. I will inquire about that. Although that is not specifically stated, the RO could call interference with the operation of the CoF and sight rule 8.3.2.2 as the violation. If the RO does it himself, I guess nothing against it but you would have to get each RO/CRO to agree with doing it. In the years I have been involved in SC, that has always been a "no-no" unless it's a junior/new shooter or someone with issues (such as yours) at a local match. I'll see what I can find out.