Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing protection

EEH

Has anyone used their products ? Looking at the impact pro muffs..any comments helpful.

Guess I should put Howard Leight

Edited by EEH

They are great for the price. They do start to hurt my head after a while. I wouldn't want to wear them all day. And I have.

I bought a pair of MSA Sordins with the gel ear seals and have been extremly happy with them. Much more comfortable than the Howard Leights, but way more money as well.

Edited by jbj

I use a pair of the impact Pro (NRR 30) while at work at an indoor range. They do provide more sound reduction than my Dillon electronic muffs and have a jack that I can plug an Ipod into. Having said that, they are a bit heavier and bulkier and the sound quality is no where near as good.

Adam

Haven't used the Howard Leights, but I bought a pair of Peltor (3M) Tactical Sport (or "Sport Tactical" can't remember which) about a year ago and can't say enough good things about them. I've owned the Caldwell electronics (comfortable but kind of a POS as far as electonics) and test drove some Pro Ears Golds at a big steel match; I think the Peltors are better for half the price, and the Pro Ears are developing a reputation of breaking... just like the pair I test drove. Basically, I was looking for a set of electronic muffs that would block out the sound of the gunshot but still amplify the sound of the bullet hitting on steel; these do it. They're also very comfortable on my big ol' head. Another plus is they have a "slim" ear cup so can be used on a rifle. I paid something like $100 for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried custom plugs yet? I think they are worth consideration at the very least. Nowhere near as hot or bulky; I personally can't use muffs with any long gun. Plugs can be had in passive or electronic versions. And the better custom molded versions are quite comfortable. I shoot for Hear-Pro, so I would direct you to their webpage for more info. If interested, I'm happy to provide more information and a discount code if needed.

Haven't used the Howard Leights, but I bought a pair of Peltor (3M) Tactical Sport (or "Sport Tactical" can't remember which) about a year ago and can't say enough good things about them. I've owned the Caldwell electronics (comfortable but kind of a POS as far as electonics) and test drove some Pro Ears Golds at a big steel match; I think the Peltors are better for half the price, and the Pro Ears are developing a reputation of breaking... just like the pair I test drove. Basically, I was looking for a set of electronic muffs that would block out the sound of the gunshot but still amplify the sound of the bullet hitting on steel; these do it. They're also very comfortable on my big ol' head. Another plus is they have a "slim" ear cup so can be used on a rifle. I paid something like $100 for them.

Update from the above comment. I've since won a pair of Pro Ears Pro Tac Slim Golds and opted to keep them rather than sell them off. These appear to be a newer and much improved version of the Pro Ears I test drove before. I haven't used them extensively or in competition yet, so the little voice in my head is telling me to keep my opinion to myself, but... I did take them to the range for a .223 sight-in and did a side-by-side comparision to the Peltor Tactical Sport. So far I'm liking the Pro Ears over the Tactical Sports-- more noise reduction, louder stereo amplification, and I think there's even some directionality because each ear mic works independently of the other versus the Peltor (and Caldwell) that appear to link each side's cups. My wife agreed: or, to be more precise, after starting her on the Peltors she refused to wear them and forced me to hand over the Pro Ears because they cut out more noise. Anyway, time will tell especially for durability but for the moment I'm voting for this pair of Pro Ears... with the caveat that they would cost 2x-3x the amount of the Peltors. These Pro Ears have slim cups and worked fine on my AR-15 stock as well as my monte-carlo stocked 10/22.