Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super 1050 Powder Spill Issue - Please help

I occasionally would have powder spill. Somehow something is slapping the shellplate that would cause the brass to shake and spill. I thought I fix the issue before by putting some grease on the casefeed plunger but after regreasing it, it is still occasionally still doing it.

I'm not sure if the shellplate would occasionally misalign and it would slam the brass when inserted from the casefeed plunger? If that's the case, what would be the fix for that occasional misalignment?

I was hoping someone out there might have the same issue that can show me some tricks :-)

Thanks.

Edited by tagacali

I lose a few kernels from my S1050 while loading 308 for Palma competition, and I'm in the process of working through 4 possible solutions to the powder spillage. The case shake is caused by the shellplate detent, which snaps the shellplate into position a little too vigorously. Here are some possible solutions:

1) Operate the press more slowly/smoothly.

2) Tighten the shellplate lock ring.

3) Cut down the shellplate detent spring.

4) Install the (third-party) shellplate bearing kit.

If you get occasional problems feeding cases while working the press at faster speeds there's a third-party "case feed fix plate" which is a replacement cam with an improved profile to operate the case feed plunger more smoothly. You can find this on eBay. I'm waiting for one of these to arrive.

Good luck.

P.S. What cal are you loading when you have spillages?

I also have had powder spill issues with my 1050, primarily when loading tiny ball powder on .308/.223 like BL-C(2) and WC844. I got it under control by a combination of:

1. Installing SPRSkip's replacement case feed roller plate on the toolhead

2. Pausing an extra beat at the end of the downstroke to let every last little grain fall

3. Disassembling and thoroughly cleaning the powder measure assembly with qtips and alcohol

Every 200 rounds or so:

1. lift the shellplate and clean out the indexer spring and ball so that the shell plate indexes smoothly

2. use compressed air to blow any powder that has dropped out from the shellplate

It used to be I couldn't go 100 rounds without enough powder spillage to completely gum up the shellplate, but now I dont have a problem.

Every 200 rounds or so...

Yikes.. if this were the case I'd sell my 1050. I'd add at least a zero to that.. and maybe a multiply it by 2 or 3

It used to be much more frustrating. I've been conditioned now to clean out the tiniest specks of powder as soon as I see them.

I lose a few kernels from my S1050 while loading 308 for Palma competition, and I'm in the process of working through 4 possible solutions to the powder spillage. The case shake is caused by the shellplate detent, which snaps the shellplate into position a little too vigorously. Here are some possible solutions:

1) Operate the press more slowly/smoothly.

2) Tighten the shellplate lock ring.

3) Cut down the shellplate detent spring.

4) Install the (third-party) shellplate bearing kit.

If you get occasional problems feeding cases while working the press at faster speeds there's a third-party "case feed fix plate" which is a replacement cam with an improved profile to operate the case feed plunger more smoothly. You can find this on eBay. I'm waiting for one of these to arrive.

Good luck.

P.S. What cal are you loading when you have spillages?

never knew there was a cam for the case feeder plunger! i get this issue when doing 223 on my 1050 thanks!