Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thumbrest

diablodawg

I haven't seen a production one yet, but does anyone see potential for using chicago-screw type pins and a machined thumbrest? Or maybe a replacement takedown bar with a thumbrest attached? I don't want to attach anything to the rail (holster compatibility) or necessarily drill the frame.

A local shooter has a thumbrest that replaces the trigger pin and sticks out about an inch on the left side of the frame. it's just like an oversized pin and has no other shape to it. It might be cool, but it wouldn't work with my kydex holster, so I'm leaving mine without a thumbrest.

Yeah, that's the one I tried. It's ok, but I won't give up my kydex holster in order to use one.

I'm already using a race holster so it wouldn't be an issue for me. If I hadn't gotten such a great deal on my holster I'd be in the same boat as you.

Leo, the guy at my range that has one is going to let me use his next week. He is going back to his Open gun. I'll post some pics and let you guys know what I think.

Please do, I am curious about how it feels.

Leo, the guy at my range that has one is going to let me use his next week. He is going back to his Open gun. I'll post some pics and let you guys know what I think.

Please do, I am curious about how it feels.

Should have it this Friday.

Got the thumb rest today and installed it. So far I like it. Leo didn't like it due to having smaller hands. The pad of his thumb was on the rest and he said it caused him to push his second shots all right. For me the rest hits my thumb at the joint so it doesn't push to the side for me. Took some pics of it.

Here is is out of the bag. The long block screw replaces the trigger pin and the silver rest threads onto the pin. You can see the set screw on the rest in the pic, that screws in and rests against the black pin to hold it in place. Feels really secure.

20130621_222130_zps89cdf7c0.jpg

Here is a pic of the pin installed and you can see the threaded end

20130621_222202_zps1550cdaa.jpg

Left side after installation

20130621_222304_zps341d117a.jpg

And the rear

20130621_222318_zps30d81867.jpg

I have not shot it yet with this installed, but I am shooting a local match this Sunday. I will let you guys know what I think of it more after that match.

It is going to force me to adjust my grip a little, but all of the open guns I have tried with thumb rests make you do the same. I'm looking forward to trying it, just need to do a bit of dry fire / draw drills with it between now and then to get used to it.

Edited by Tuflehundon

Got the thumb rest today and installed it. So far I like it. Leo didn't like it due to having smaller hands. The pad of his thumb was on the rest and he said it caused him to push his second shots all right. For me the rest hits my thumb at the joint so it doesn't push to the side for me. Took some pics of it.

Here is is out of the bag. The long block screw replaces the trigger pin and the silver rest threads onto the pin. You can see the set screw on the rest in the pic, that screws in and rests against the black pin to hold it in place. Feels really secure.

20130621_222130_zps89cdf7c0.jpg

Here is a pic of the pin installed and you can see the threaded end

20130621_222202_zps1550cdaa.jpg

Left side after installation

20130621_222304_zps341d117a.jpg

And the rear

20130621_222318_zps30d81867.jpg

I have not shot it yet with this installed, but I am shooting a local match this Sunday. I will let you guys know what I think of it more after that match.

It is going to force me to adjust my grip a little, but all of the open guns I have tried with thumb rests make you do the same. I'm looking forward to trying it, just need to do a bit of dry fire / draw drills with it between now and then to get used to it.

wow thanks for the detailed write up, really appreciate it.

It doesn't look too bad maybe I'll look into getting one for my steel dedicated glock 17.

and what is the difference between the ambidextrous IPSC vsersion vs the USPSA?

Thank you!

Edited by eddyk

Used the Thumb rest today at a match, and really liked it. It would be nice if it was a ledge or *thumb rest [generic]* design, but that's all we have right now for Glocks. Follow up shots were much faster, recoil control was greatly improved. It forces you to get a proper grip, if your support hand is in the wrong place and your thumb is to far back it can sting a little after a stage. After the 1st 2 stages I figured out the the grip with it and was good.

I would recommend it. The only complaint I have heard so far is for those with small hands. They can't get there support thumb far enough forward and it ether stings when you shoot, or you tend to pull your follow up shots to the side.

Used the Thumb rest today at a match, and really liked it. It would be nice if it was a ledge or *thumb rest [generic]* design, but that's all we have right now for Glocks. Follow up shots were much faster, recoil control was greatly improved. It forces you to get a proper grip, if your support hand is in the wrong place and your thumb is to far back it can sting a little after a stage. After the 1st 2 stages I figured out the the grip with it and was good.

I would recommend it. The only complaint I have heard so far is for those with small hands. They can't get there support thumb far enough forward and it ether stings when you shoot, or you tend to pull your follow up shots to the side.

Thanks for the detailed range report.

So when you are gripping it where is your thumb resting on it? Is it resting on the first joint closest to the tip of your thumb or more towards the pad of your thumb?

So when you are gripping it where is your thumb resting on it? Is it resting on the first joint closest to the tip of your thumb or more towards the pad of your thumb?

It was resting on the first joint of the thumb, so that the pad of my thumb was forward of the rest. If I put the pad of my thumb on the rest it tended to force my follow up shots to the right. That's what was happening to the guy who gave it to me, and was why he didn't like it. He had much smaller hands than me and wasn't able to grip it the way I do.I have huge meat hooks for hands, but a few other guys at the range tried it out that had more "normal" sized hands and they were fine with it.

Edited by Tuflehundon

It was resting on the first joint of the thumb, so that the pad of my thumb was forward of the rest. If I put the pad of my thumb on the rest it tended to force my follow up shots to the right. That's what was happening to the guy who gave it to me, and was why he didn't like it. He had much smaller hands than me and wasn't able to grip it the way I do.I have huge meat hooks for hands, but a few other guys at the range tried it out that had more "normal" sized hands and they were fine with it.

Thank you!

You've been very helpful. I think I will get one to try it out :)

Hopefully my hands aren't too small lol

What's the thread pitch on the pin? I wonder if you could thread a Carver thumbrest on a pin of the same size that was internally threaded.. Hmmmm.......

Edited by mike g35

What's the thread pitch on the pin? I wonder if you could thread a Carver thumbrest on a pin of the same size that was internally threaded.. Hmmmm.......

Now THAT would be awesome. Would definitely buy that

That would be sweet. Only problem is it wouldn't be stable due to only having 1 attachment point.

I have heard rumors that someone is working on a Limited Glock thumbrest that has a pin that replaced the locking block pin, and then has a threaded screw that replaces the trigger pin. It's more of a "*thumb rest [generic]*" style similar to the carver one or the Arredondo one for 2011's. Not sure of it's true or not, but I hope it is. If it's not, maybe Bobby can run with that idea and figure something out.

That would be sweet. Only problem is it wouldn't be stable due to only having 1 attachment point.

I have heard rumors that someone is working on a Limited Glock thumbrest that has a pin that replaced the locking block pin, and then has a threaded screw that replaces the trigger pin. It's more of a "*thumb rest [generic]*" style similar to the carver one or the Arredondo one for 2011's. Not sure of it's true or not, but I hope it is. If it's not, maybe Bobby can run with that idea and figure something out.

Yeah I read that somewhere here as well. I hope that person finishes it soon since thumbrests can be used in limited now...