Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

EAA Witness EA9 adjustable trigger problems (trigger randomly wont ful

Hello so this is my first post but it is also the reason I found this forum, hopfully talking to the right people will help me with me out.

I just bought a used EAA Witness EA9 Frame with a Springfield P9 LSP slide and I need some help understanding and adjusting the trigger. It is well used and has already had a trigger job done to it, it has been converted to SA only and a flatter style adjustable trigger and different hammer have been installed. Actually it looks like every part of the frame has been machined, worked and customized in one way or another. Right now trigger is set very very crisp and light with very little pre-travel.

So here it is gun seems to function well and it is a very accurate shooter, the problem I am having is the trigger randomly maybe 50% of the time wont reset all the way back after a shot is fired. When this happens I am unable to pull the trigger again as if the gun was uncocked, sometimes if I jolt the gun very lightly with my hand it resets, other times it just goes back eventually on its own and other times it just doesn't reset at all. This will only happen when the gun has been live fired and never when dry fired. When it is has been dry fired, every time I pull the hammer back again or re-rack the slide the trigger has always been reset as normal.

Ive done some reading on trigger reset, pre-travel, over-travel and such but truthfully I'm still trying to fully grasp it right now. Basically though I would like to know if this problem / adjustment is something I can do on my own fairly easily and the other thing is can I simply set the trigger reset by adjusting the over-travel screw located on the face of the trigger blade? If so which way and how much? I've also read it could be a few other modified trigger related issued and im starting to get lost in the deatils and was hoping to pick sone of your brains.

Cheers,

Evan

Edited by Workingspy

Evan,

The pre travel screw is sticking out too far. This is the top screw on the face of the trigger you should be able to get to from inside the frame with the slide off; turn it counter clockwise a quarter turn and all your problems will go away.

Thanks for the quick responce, that was actually one of the many things that I did manage to find fairly commonly online. Again I wasnt sure so this is a good confirmation as to what I need to do next, ill have a look at it when I get home and see what happens next time I shoot it I guess.

Cheers,

Evan

Edited by Workingspy

Not sure what trigger it is as it is highly modified and I dont think it came with it originally. My friend has a stock with a si gle stage trigger setup and it looks the same as that, ill try when I get home.

Cheers,

Evan

Ok so I turned the screw a quarter turn counter clockwise, now ill just have to wait to live fire it next time I go to the range. The allen key I had yo use ended up being a 0.050 SAE.

Cheers,

Evan

I got a chance to go to the range today and here's an update to my trigger reset issue. So I did as was suggested and turned the pre travel screw cc a quarter turn as mentioned in my last post and there was a noticable difference in the reset now. However the trigger would still not work perfect 100% of the time. So I turned the screw a little more and it got even better, then a little more and finally I was able to shot 50 rounds with only one hicup. Thats the best I was able to get done in the time I had at the range and it's a hell of allot better then 50% like it was. When I got home and I was cleaning it I turned it one more time a tinny bit and hopefully ill be happy with that, I have my Black Badge course next weekend so it's going to have to do. Thanks for all the help and ill let you know if its gone for good.

I do have one question. I now know what happens if the pre travel screw is to far clockwise, what would happen of you turned the pre travel screw to far counter clockwise? I don't want to keep messing with it and do screw something else up.

Cheers,

Evan

That ok then as my trigger is real light, and I didnt seem to feel much different yet so I guess I have a bit more room to work with if needed. Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,

Evan

Ok good to know and I think im good for now, or at least real damn close :). Thanks again man for taking the time to help me out, it has really been helpful to getting this this working well.

Cheers,

Evan

• 2 weeks later...

So I took the Black Badge course on the weekend using my EAA, I think I had the best time of my life it wad so fun and educational. So we shot about 700 rounds in two days, and out of 700 rounds I had reset issues again maybe 15-20 times. I can try turning the pre travel screw some more but I like my trigger pull right now, could something else be causing this to happen? Maybe a old spring?

I should add that most of the fail to resets happened on day two, I did clean it after the first day but it was raining hard and muddy on day two so the gun and mags were getting real dirty.

Cheers,

Evan

Edited by Workingspy

I shop out there every now and then but its so hard for me to get out there for that time, I even work in Scaraborogh but im done at 7 and have to drive home to get my guns first and I live in Etobicoke. Do you ever shoot at Silverdale? Thats my home range and ill acctually be shooting my first qualifying match next weekend.

Cheers,

Evan

I see you are in Toronto , come over at Target Sports on Tuesday nights , we run our IPSC practice from 6pm to 9 pm and I will get you one .

I may , not sure just yet , but just have a look at the shooters list on the upcoming matches and if you find me there don't hesitate to ask me for it , I always have spare parts with me .

As per other parts you may need Tanfoglio factory online shop is the best source , they don't have a problem shipping in Canada.

• 1 month later...

So I took my trigger apart the other day to swap in a new return spring to hopefully solve my trigger reset issues, and low and behold it doesn't use a stock spring. The SA trigger I am using has a larger front lip where the spring spits on and for that reason the spring is designed to fit that this style. Ill throw a few pics up for reference and if any one can help me ID it so I can buy one that would be great.

There also seemed to be some where on the inside of the trigger where the spring rides against. I'm thinking this could be another possiblity for the cause of my problems, and maybe not a bad spring. I cleaned all the built up crap caked in the trigger and area and hopefully that makes a difference, if not I have another SA trigger on the way that ill swap in to try out.

In the mean time I'm getting kinda good at shooting and manually resetting the trigger when the problem arises.

Spring on the right is the I have and the one on the left is a stock one.

20130723_002825.jpg

If you look on the right side of the adj screw you can see a small where spot where the spring could get snagged. Also note the thickness in the area above the adj screw.

20130723_002850.jpg

Cheers,

Evan

Edited by Workingspy

So after going to the range today and for the first time the trigger reset everytime. So it was either smoothing out of the rough area or a real good cleaning or both that solved the problem. Well see how long this fix works :)

Cheers,

Evan

Edited by Workingspy

I can't imagine that the return spring you had in the gun was working very well - or at all.

If you're using a factory SAO trigger, you have to make sure you are using the trigger return spring from an SAO pistol. If you use an SA/DA spring, it will bind up on you pretty badly. There's a recent thread on this in the forum here.

The spring that was in your gun was modified by someone, they cut part of the leg off so that it would fit in the sao trigger.

I can't imagine that the return spring you had in the gun was working very well - or at all.

If you're using a factory SAO trigger, you have to make sure you are using the trigger return spring from an SAO pistol. If you use an SA/DA spring, it will bind up on you pretty badly. There's a recent thread on this in the forum here.

The spring that was in your gun was modified by someone, they cut part of the leg off so that it would fit in the sao trigger.

Yah I was kinda suprised to when I pulled that spring out for the first tine also, it kinda looks like someone made there own spring. And the fact that it works at all and perfect now is weird, good for me for me I guess.

I read the other thread and it was quite interesting, unfortunatly I wasn't able to see the two springs well enough to get a good comparison. I have two DA/SA springs, the f-ed up one and one that is slightly different that I think might be a SA only. However it did make me question if that might be my problem. Ill be putting togeather a DA/SA trigger assenbly tonight and ill conpare that one and the one I think might be the SAO one, if there is a difference ill take a pic to show it.

Cheers,

Evan