Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Match 9mm with Compensator

Yes there would be a noticeable reduction in both recoil and muzzle rise with a compensator especially if you are running major power factor ammo. Is it worth the money? it all depends on what you are doing with the gun. I would say for competition shooting Open division with major PF ammo it would definitely be worth it. other than competition I can't think of a reason to run a comp on a 9mm

Mike

Yeah you would need to run the right powder to get the maximum effectiveness out of that comp. If you're just running soft loads with small powder charges then its not going to do a lot.

Sure, a Match can handle +P ammo, but I don't think factory +P ammo would give you the desired effect with a compensator. I have two compensated pistols and seven compensators; when I first started my quest for the elusive, 'flat-shooting' 9mm, I didn't reload and hoped to buy factory ammo which would get me the results I wanted. I had no luck. Some factory loads felt EXACTLY the same with or without the comp.

What you want for a comp is SLOW powder, but unfortunately slow powder in a non compensated gun produces more felt recoil and since the vast majority of commercially loaded ammo customers do not have compensators, factory ammo tends to utilize faster burning powder. [/non-scientific, purely speculative analysis].

Edited by kneelingatlas

Is Major 9mm ammo (+P ammo) safe in a 2011 model Witness Elite Match w/ rail?

Yes the tanfoglio platform can hande +p 9mm or 9mm loaded to major power factor, but just to note 9mm Major and 9mm+p are not the same thing, 9mm major is quite a bit hotter.

Mike

Well "technically" 9mm major has nothing to do with pressure. I"m pretty sure I could make major with my 4.75" limited gun staying within +P pressures.

You only need to push a 147 @ 1116 or a 124 @ 1325.

Edited by Nealio

Personally I think the whole "+P"/"+P+" thing is just a marketing ploy, I searched the internet for some advertised +P and +P+ loads, and everything came to right around 150PF, standard, el cheapo 9mm bulk ammo rides around 135PF.

Quote from Starline's 9mm +P brass page:

"9MM+P has no difference from the standard 9mm Luger other than headstamp designation for load segregation. Due to standard case design, it will handle +P pressures with no problems."