Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cut-Down Shells?

Paradigm

Is it legal in any of the multi gun organizations to use cut-down hand loads for shotguns? I have the ability to hand load shorter rounds, giving me one or two more shells in my tube. I know I might compromise my ability to knock down poppers, but for certain applications it might be worth it.

Is it legal in any of the multi gun organizations to use cut-down hand loads for shotguns? I have the ability to hand load shorter rounds, giving me one or two more shells in my tube. I know I might compromise my ability to knock down poppers, but for certain applications it might be worth it.

Yes, those are allowed under the rulesets in current use. At one time, several competitors used 2" shells. I have used the Aguilla minis in a few pump shotguns. Getting shells that are shorter than 2" to feed reliably in an autoloader is tricky. 2" feeds fine in my Versa-Max, but 1 7/8" feeds 2 per. You do realize that loaded 2 3/4" shotgun shells are typically 2.3" to 2.4" long. If you go to 2" on an 8 round tube, you gain 1 round. A lot of effort for just a little gain.

Me too.

Made some 2 inchers out of AA hulls and trimmed down wads w/overshot cards, roll crimps, and they fed and shot like a champ in my old Rem1100. Held 12 (I think) in the tube and one in the chamber.

Way too much work to make it worth the effort.

Dang it, now I am going to have to see if those Aguila Mini Shells I bought long ago on a lark will function though my 1100.

They won't. They run in the Win SXP, FNH P12 and Win 1300s unmodified. Most of the other pumps can run them with slight mods.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...