Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

suggestions for wheelchair user

45inwillis

hi, i'm a lifelong shooter but have never competed.recently got interested in steel challenge type shooting and would like suggestions and help.problem is i'm currently in a wheelchair and would like to know if anyone has experience shooting steel from a chair and what type equipment would most likely be acceptable and usable? i shoot an sti spartan .45. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i'm very excited and anxious to get started but don't want to run into safety issues at a match. thanks.

http://gunsmagazine.com/the-view-from-the-chair/

Can't remember, I think it is Blade-tech that sells a holster kit for your chair. Look up Smith and Wesson pro shooter, Trevor B. Many articles featuring him shooting through a course of fire. Welcome, you found the right place for information. I encourage you to contact a local club. Tell them your abilities and head on out to the range. Always bring your gun and a couple hundred rounds. You never know they may all talk you in to playing. I know my range would. This sport is perfect for you, whether IDPA, or Steel Challenge. Just get out and play.

thanks for replying. yes, i've seen trevor baucom's story on tv and internet. i believe safariland custom built his holster attachment.i looked on their website but can't find it listed for sale. i have found one at another site built by a wheelchair user. it looks like it may work. thanks for the welcome.hope to find a club nearby and get started.

I'd like to say every Match Director out there will make sure they can find a way for you to shoot

Until you can get the holster worked out, shooting from low ready may be an option (like a 22 rimfire start), at least to be able to shoot in the match, worst case, you're shooting for no official score

Safariland sell wheelchair products: http://www.safariland.com/NewsPressDetail.aspx?Id=259

And, here a link to a BE post that has some good info and pics (you may have already seen this): http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=173240&hl=+wheel +chair

Also, I'm with Mr. Hayden...talk to the match director of the club where you want to shoot. I'd bet my last small pistol primer that they will work with you to make sure you can shoot and enjoy the match. After that it is all up to you to hit the steel! ;)

Edited by Bamboo

... and steel, Steel Challenge specifically, is a blast. Of the official stages, there is only one that requires a couple of steps and a fair accommodation can easily be made by the MD.

Welcome! Now go have some fun!

At the least, just start going. Many people without holsters start from low ready. as long as you have a way to do it safely, all match directors should be able to help. Even in USPSA there are ways to make you able to shoot the course of fire, even if it requires someone pushing your chair through the course.