Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IMGA rules ..... where are they?

I know each club sometimes has a slightly different set of rules that's typically 5 or so pages and covers some topics, but leaves a lot out. If the rules or stage briefing don't say you can't, is it allowed?

Here are a couple sets of rules I've seen.

http://www.indianamultigun.com/Media/INMG%20Rules%202013.pdf

http://www.pcsirange.com/images/pdf/PCSI_IMA%20Rules.pdf

Here are a few examples of questions that have come up.

Shooter has a squib round on first shot. Does he get a re-shoot?

Unloaded start .... can bolt be locked back?

Unloaded start ..... can competitor have loaded magazine in their hand?

Can a suppressor be used on a rifle for 1 stage and not the others?

I know USPSA spells this sort of stuff out. Is there a large set of rules to generally follow somewhere for a club that says they use IMGA rules?

The International Multigun Association was founded by Dan Furbee, MD of the Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun match. The latest SMM3G Rules are the direct descendant of his original rules set (indeed, Dan has had a hand in rules changes to this day). However, these IMA rules were never intended to be completely comprehensive. Over the years we have been very careful to avoid the rules becoming bloated - instead, we strive constantly to keep the rules as concise as possible and make them easy for folks to understand. We are blessed by having the very well thought out, comprehensive and widely understood USPSA rules set to draw upon for aspects like scoring policy, range commands etc. etc., so why reinvent the wheel?

When specific questions like yours do arise, they can be answered on a match by match basis by the MD or RM. Over time consensus tends to develop. To answer your specific questions for SMM3G:

Q1) Shooter has a squib round on first shot. Does he get a re-shoot?

A1) Same guidelines as USPSA. RO stops the shooter. If squib is found, score stage as shot (no reshoot). If squib not found, reshoot for RO interference.

Q2) Unloaded start .... can bolt be locked back?

A2) This is not defined in the rules, so the WSB should stipulate.

Q3) Unloaded start ..... can competitor have loaded magazine in their hand?

A3) Same guidelines as USPSA. Competitors generally may not start the stage touching ammo. In other words NO.

Q4) Can a suppressor be used on a rifle for 1 stage and not the others?

A4) Same guidelines as USPSA. Competitors generally may not reconfigure their gun without MD/RM permission. In other words NO.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Thanks for the reply. That's the way I've always applied things when I'm the RO, but went to a new club last weekend and thought maybe I was doing it wrong. All of my questions happened or were attempted. It's hard to explain to a guy that we are using these rules, but sometimes those other rules apply as well.

Thanks for the reply. That's the way I've always applied things when I'm the RO, but went to a new club last weekend and thought maybe I was doing it wrong. All of my questions happened or were attempted. It's hard to explain to a guy that we are using these rules, but sometimes those other rules apply as well.

Agreed. I have been trying to align SMM3G rules with USPSA rules whenever possible (and where it makes sense). Ultimately I'd like to see USPSA rules become something sufficiently flexible and attractive that IMA match directors feel able to use them, and over time for the sport to end up with one national rulebook we can all hang our hats on. I also want an end to hunger, a cure for AIDS, and World peace. A guy can dream can't he! :roflol:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

As Stealthy stated, IMGA rules have been around a while, and SMM3G rules are directly descended from the original. However, the term "IMGA rules" cover the rules lots of matches use that are not so closely mated with USPSA. That said, his answers to your questions mirror what I would expect at most major 3-gun matches. The only exception might be with the squib question which may be dealt with more liberally at times.

While USPSA has finally migrated toward the rules 3-gun matches use, I think the chances of 3-gun matches adopting those rules are nonexistant.

Andy

• 5 weeks later...

The International Multigun Association was founded by Dan Furbee, MD of the Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun match. The latest SMM3G Rules are the direct descendant of his original rules set (indeed, Dan has had a hand in rules changes to this day). However, these IMA rules were never intended to be completely comprehensive. Over the years we have been very careful to avoid the rules becoming bloated - instead, we strive constantly to keep the rules as concise as possible and make them easy for folks to understand. We are blessed by having the very well thought out, comprehensive and widely understood USPSA rules set to draw upon for aspects like scoring policy, range commands etc. etc., so why reinvent the wheel?

When specific questions like yours do arise, they can be answered on a match by match basis by the MD or RM. Over time consensus tends to develop. To answer your specific questions for SMM3G:

Q1) Shooter has a squib round on first shot. Does he get a re-shoot?

A1) Same guidelines as USPSA. RO stops the shooter. If squib is found, score stage as shot (no reshoot). If squib not found, reshoot for RO interference.

Q2) Unloaded start .... can bolt be locked back?

A2) This is not defined in the rules, so the WSB should stipulate.

Q3) Unloaded start ..... can competitor have loaded magazine in their hand?

A3) Same guidelines as USPSA. Competitors generally may not start the stage touching ammo. In other words NO.

Q4) Can a suppressor be used on a rifle for 1 stage and not the others?

A4) Same guidelines as USPSA. Competitors generally may not reconfigure their gun without MD/RM permission. In other words NO.

I know each club sometimes has a slightly different set of rules that's typically 5 or so pages and covers some topics, but leaves a lot out. If the rules or stage briefing don't say you can't, is it allowed?

Here are a couple sets of rules I've seen.

http://www.indianamultigun.com/Media/INMG%20Rules%202013.pdf

http://www.pcsirange.com/images/pdf/PCSI_IMA%20Rules.pdf

Here are a few examples of questions that have come up.

Shooter has a squib round on first shot. Does he get a re-shoot?

Unloaded start .... can bolt be locked back?

Unloaded start ..... can competitor have loaded magazine in their hand?

Can a suppressor be used on a rifle for 1 stage and not the others?

I know USPSA spells this sort of stuff out. Is there a large set of rules to generally follow somewhere for a club that says they use IMGA rules?

Since you referenced the INMG rules which I dont think are any kind of national standard but..

#1 matter of fact I was on the clipboard last weekend when a very good shooter had a squib round out of a pistol. RO stopped him. It was discussed at length. Its a no reshoot. Same as an equipment malfunction. I was the closest person behind RO and didnt catch in since it was in a hallway type stage. The RO did an outsanding job hearing it and I dont know if the shooter did or not.

#2 again last week this came up. For each club sometimes the range rules vary. It isnt my home club and we started so far this season at this club with an empty chamber, closed bolt all guns and again it was discussed. My personal input was to stay the same. I prefer to let the stage designer dictate. I like a hot gun to start but I want consistancy. Too many new or not experienced shooters to change up match to match at least for each club.

#3 I have done it at our home club and think the game factor is part of the game. My motto is if it doesnt say you cant then you can. BUT club and match rules dictate.

#4 Since yours truly is a open shooter who is average on a good day I think I can say the awnser is yes. You can off and on a supprssor in OPEN which is what you will shoot. I take a bipod off and on as needed. I dont have a suppressor so I cant speak for sure. I cant see why you would. A SBR with a suppressor is short enough for the whole match and a 18" or so gun isnt going to shoot much different with or without other than the DB level. IMO.

If you were at Altanta hope you make it to the Wildcat. We shoot out to 300 plus on one stage (if I am lucky since HVT's help me make up for piss poor handgun).

Agreed. I have been trying to align SMM3G rules with USPSA rules whenever possible (and where it makes sense). Ultimately I'd like to see USPSA rules become something sufficiently flexible and attractive that IMA match directors feel able to use them, and over time for the sport to end up with one national rulebook we can all hang our hats on. I also want an end to hunger, a cure for AIDS, and World peace. A guy can dream can't he! :roflol:

I think most of the guys I meet dont want USPSA rules for 3 Gun. This topic has been discussed more than the middle east peace it seams. I love USPSA for pistol stuff but 3 gun is stand alone. I will go on record again though as HATING the pizza box PC targets. Keep the USPSA targets but not the ruleset.