Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

video/audio software

cpa5oh

I take videos of my match shooting...and I take videos of others and then make them available to the others so that we can all watch our videos and see if we can't find out where/how we can improve.

Sometimes I/we make obvious errors - botched reload, miss a shot on steel...that stuff is easy to pick up from the video.

What isn't easy to pick up from just watching the videos is speed of transitions/splits/reloads. I'm wondering if there's a software that would allow me to play a video and see one of those graphs that looks like a heart monitor to be able to get times on transitions/splits/reloads? I don't know if that'll make sense to anyone...I'm thinking a green line that's flat until a sound is picked up, with a peak for each gunshot that you might be able to see a time out to hundredths of a second...

Maybe there's a movie maker software or audio software that can do this?

You can "measure" time with any good video editing software that has a Timeline editing feature ("tracks"). if it allows stepping forward/back by frame you can measure the stop/start of each event and get a time. Not automated (how would the software know what a "reload" is?) but can be done by-hand.

Build-in video editor in Windows can't do it, but a good package like Sony Vegas home could (about $100). Vegas also makes very good video editing transitions and overlays, you could sync-up other shooter's footage and Synchronize the start Beep to see how you compare.

Do you require the timing results to be within the video?

I use the Android App, IPSC Shot Timer and hold it up to the speakers when watching a video. It lists the time as well as the split for each shot the a summary of each shot is available.

Maybe you can video the video of you shooting and the shot timer screen at the same time.

I'm definitely going to check out the Sony software - overlays seem like a great idea.

I just did what was described with the Android phone - except I used my CED 7000 shot timer on "spy" mode. Put it right up against a computer speaker and it picked up all of the shots (had to turn the sound up alot.) Only problem with that is that it's hard to time the beep...so what I did was write down the total time (per the official results) and subtract the sum of every shot time but the first, result being the time from the the buzzer to first shot. After doing that, I've got timer data for every shot on the entire stage.

I compared the shot by shot breakdown of a stage I really thought I was fast on (but got smoked on the timer) to a great shooter - on one particular 4 target array he beat me by .75 seconds...and those were close targets...I imagine when I look at an array of more difficult targets I'll see myself getting beat by a big chunk of time...this is good, because if I know where/how/why I'm getting beat, I'll know how to fix it.