Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Long Should a Barrel Link Last?

cohland

My STI Trojan has about 2,500 rounds fired, and during a recent practice session I had an unusual stoppage. As it turned out, the slide stop had come loose, by about .25" or so. The gun has always had an STI Recoil Master installed, and the spring is changed at about 1,000 rounds.

Cleaning the gun, I inspected the slide stop thinking it would be worn (it was, by maybe .001"), but I was very surprised to see how loose the barrel link had become. Very worn. I replaced the slide stop and the link with a standard #3 (.278") link. The link pin was OK. Reassembled and tested, it works fine. I followed the fitting advice in Kuhnhausen Volume 1 as well as Kuleck's assembly guide.

I was surprised to see a barrel link wear out that quickly, but with very little experience with the 1911, I guess this could be normal.

Is it?

Chris

barrel isn't hitting the barrel bed correctly, thus causing the stretch on the barrel link.

Thank you. Your response indicates that you have knowledge about the internal fitting of these parts that I lack, so I appreciate the information.

Kuleck says to select a link that offers just a little resistance to fitting the slide stop, and then to elongate the hole in the link where the slide stop fits. I would think that elongating a hole in a part like this might weaken it, but I might give it a try if it happens again. The new link that I installed is nearly a perfect fit, though.

Chris

There were some links from a certain mfg a while back that were not heat treated properly and would fail after a few thousand rounds, even if it had been fitted properly.

There is a force on the link each time you fire, and if there's something wrong with the metal it can fail.

You'll need to check to see if the barrel is hitting the frame in the VIS area and the top of the barrel bed, once it's on the linked down position. Changing just the link can change many other things like the lock up lugs on top of the barrel, barrel hood clearance to the breach face, barrel center to the breach face, and the timing of the slide.

My STI Trojan has about 2,500 rounds fired, and during a recent practice session I had an unusual stoppage. As it turned out, the slide stop had come loose, by about .25" or so. The gun has always had an STI Recoil Master installed, and the spring is changed at about 1,000 rounds.

Cleaning the gun, I inspected the slide stop thinking it would be worn (it was, by maybe .001"), but I was very surprised to see how loose the barrel link had become. Very worn. I replaced the slide stop and the link with a standard #3 (.278") link. The link pin was OK. Reassembled and tested, it works fine. I followed the fitting advice in Kuhnhausen Volume 1 as well as Kuleck's assembly guide.

I was surprised to see a barrel link wear out that quickly, but with very little experience with the 1911, I guess this could be normal.

Is it?

Chris

NO. That likely indicates a fit problem of the barrel/slide which is stressing the link... or a defective link. STI will fix it for free. Edited by bountyhunter