Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Directing my first two gun match. Pistol and rifle. Need ideas.

I have been a USPSA match director with pistol now for several seasons and would like to try running a two gun match. I would prefer to start with two gun before getting into three gun at this point...baby steps. I have never shot in a two gun match before or have any experience with multi-gun so I am looking for some pointers on getting started in this.

What I am planning on doing in the future is setting up a four stage match that would consist of three stages of pistol only and a fourth stage with rifle (AR type) only.

In regards to a two gun match like this, is it as simple as just having the competitors use a rifle (duh :-)) on that specific stage and score it as you would the pistol stages ??

Any basic input that would get me started from other match directors that have run multi-gun matches would be appreciated. I bet somebody will say to dig into the multi-gun rules.

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff

you can run a match just like you have laid out above and score it just like regular pistol stage, in the USPSA Multigun Rules that would be comstock scoring. for a Match as you have described I think that would be a great way to do it. one note is that type of scoring normally uses major/minor scoring where 223 + 7.62x39 are minor and 308 + is major with some of the specialty rounds making major as well (hot 300blk 6.8spc ect).

Just so you now most Multigun matches are scored with the time plus system where you stage score is your raw stage time plus any penalties.

Hi Jeff,

It's great that you are branching out into the multigun world. I would recommend you find a 3-gun match to go watch or shoot, whether it is a USPSA match or not, and see how they do things if you haven't already done so.

I am not that familiar with the USPSA MG rulebook, but prehaps Mark P will find this and post something as he runs the Noveske match under those rules. What you outlined above would work. You can probably score the match any way you would like as long as the guys have a good time!

Good luck,

Andy

Mike and Andy,

Thanks for your input. I will be setting up this 2 gun match next month. I was looking at the USPSA Multigun rules but for this "trial run" I will keep the USPSA pistol rules intact.

If people like this two gun match, in the more distant future i will probably introduce the USPSA Multigun rules as they relate to pistol and rifle within the 5 divisions of Open, Tactical, Limited, Heavy Metal Tactical, and Heavy Metal Ltd.

Jeff

• 3 months later...

Is anybody running Two Gun matches with Rifle and Pistol?

I have no desire to do 3gun because I simply don't care to deal with a shotgun in competition.

However, I find running stages with a rifle is great fun.

The Alabama section has a Birmingham club (Heritage) that runs a pistol match with a two stage rifle side match.

Are there any matches going on out there beyond the club level?

Tls

I have run a 5 stage pistol match, tear down three, leave 2 up and toss in a long range stage. Shoot those 2 pistol stages again (laying down any steel) and then the long range. This format encourages the pistol shooters to stay and brings out the 3 Gunners too.

I would encourage you to either run a pistol match with a rifle side match, OR use USPSA MG time plus rules. HF rifle is not as fun, but pistol rules are not rifle rules either. Time Plus works for pistol stages and you can use peoples pistol classification. EZWinscore can be used either way. We run our local 3G with USPSA mg rules as well as the Noveske match.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like the idea of just pistol and rifle, and looked into USCA but nothing like this is near where I live. I don't have the desire for 3gun but a 3gun match with out a shotgun would be amazing. so you might look into the US Carbine association.