Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Versa Max Sportsman?

sfinney

I see lots of talk of guys running Synthetics.... Not much about the Sportsman model. I can get a new Sportsman w/26" in barrel for $849...,, for that I can afford a few chokes and a fiber optic sight. Plus the extended tube of course.

What am I missing that makes the Sportsman not desirable? (No adjustable stock, only 1 choke, white bead front sight instead of f.o., and a cheaper finish? - anything else?)

I have a 28" sportsman and built it up completely for less than 1000.00. Including every part you could add the welded lifter and the loading port opened up which I did myself. Now I got z screaming deal on the base gun at $769.00 brand new but you can easily do everything for under. 300.00

Right now Remington is running a $100 rebate. So why get the Sportsman when you can enjoy the rebate and be at the same cost. I paid $1000 out the door with my Synthetic plus with the $100 rebate my new total is $900.

There is a VM Sportsman at my lgs for $769.

Does anyone know for sure if the drop/cant shim kit for the standard VM will fit the Sportsman? The product literature says you remove the comb from the stock to make adjustments. Since the Sportsman stock does not have a removable comb, I wonder if the parts are interchangeable. I've emailed Remington but no answer yet.

There is a VM Sportsman at my lgs for $769.

Does anyone know for sure if the drop/cant shim kit for the standard VM will fit the Sportsman? The product literature says you remove the comb from the stock to make adjustments. Since the Sportsman stock does not have a removable comb, I wonder if the parts are interchangeable. I've emailed Remington but no answer yet.

The shims change the angle that the stock attaches to the receiver. The reason this can be done is there is a section of rubber that the front of the stock. So when you tilt the stock with the shims the rubber can move to where it is needed to maintain a large contact area. I do not think that the sportsman has this.

I got an email from Remington this morning confirming that the shims are compatable with the Sportsman stock.

I'm off to buy a shotgun after work. And a Versa Tube. And a new sanding drum for my Dremel.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you been able to confirm that the adjustable stock shims will fit the sportsman stock?

I am also considering picking up a VM sportsman, I don't plan on running an optic so the different combs don't matter to me as much as the adjustable shims do.