Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for help

CE325

looking for some help,

I am going to shoot the 2013 Proam match in July. I shot the 2012 Proam and finished 3rd in the D class limited.

That was my first Major match before that I was just shooting local matches. Then I shot the 2012 Florida state match

and finished 2nd in limited D class. The pistol I shoot is a GLOCK 17 production gun,factory loads all stock. Since then due to ammo costs and being able to find any! I have not shot my pistol. My concern is after watching my videos is I do NOT run fast

at all, or it doesn't seem like I do. I feel I can do a lot better than I have in the past. My goal is to get 1st place this year in the Proam match in July. I am looking for tips on dryfire and how to work on running faster and getting my shots on target.

I may shoot 1-2 or so USPSA matches before the next proam but my main practice will be dry fire.

Please watch my videos and let me know what I can do to improve!

Thanks

Chris

2012 PROAM

Edited by CE325

Just taking a brief look...

You don't take your gun down when moving.

To put it into perspective (kind of), If you were in a Nascar pit stop and were the guy running the impact wrench,would you run around with it up, "ready" to tighten things? NO... you'd run around with like you didn't have anything in your hand until you got to your tire.

Same thing goes with shooting, bring that gun down and run like you're working out (hopping that wall in the pit stop, etc). Obviously, keeping everything in a safe direction. But focus on your running and then stop and focus on your shooting then focus on your running, rinse and repeat. This was taught to me by a pretty credible shooter in the Tennessee area.

The other thing this does is keeps you from focusing on your sights while you're supposed to be busying haulin' you know what to the next position.

Obviously shooting on the move is counter intuitive to this, but if you are truly JUST moving, then focus on going all out (within reason - don't show up at the next shoot box gassed)

In terms of dry fire, I am on board with you - my practice is the weekly matches. Between ammo, work and women, I don't have time or money to support a good weekly live fire session so I dry fire, A LOT! But it's a good thing because dry fire can teach you muscle memory on reloads that when you're moving you can focus on your running, not fumbling for a mag change, etc. - your subconscious will handle that for you.

But if you want to be fast, be in shape. Best thing I have done for my shooting is a combination of weight training and running. The weight give you the muscle control and fast twitch fibers for sprints, etc. The running gives you the cardio and endurance you need to be able to repeat efforts - 5-10 stages in a day.

Other thing is speed up that double tap. How you say? Play Video Games! Oh lord, you can hear the shooting gods cussing me now, but seriously - play some of those first person shooters and use only the guns that are single shot (just like your gear). You'd be amazed how you can speed up those fingers. Now I recognize, that Video games are brain melters and what not, but seriously. Think about it, you are running your trigger finger, responding to targets, sounds and distractions. Sounds like a USPSA/3 gun range to me.

That's just what I saw in a brief glimpse. Take it or leave.

Best of luck in your goals and training.

Thanks for your response.

I keep my gun up cause that's what I was told to do so it was always at eye level

To get a quick sight picture. I dont bring it down cause I'm afraid to get

DQed!

I was thinking of doing some sprinting in my backyard using my pistol and mags

And timing myself between start to finish as if I was in a stage.

Practicing how I hold my gun and reloading.

Here is one of the better shooters at our local match, you can see that he moves quickly between shooting positions. He posts some of the better times. In this video he is shooting production.

For shooting steel, good sight pic and smooth trigger press. Best thing about training for a steel match, I dryfire. I get quarters paint 1 side white, stick them on the wall, and an index card cut in 1/3 (or so) I can about match the movement for steel challenge stages on my wall. But for the Pro Am. Lots of white quarters on a lotta wall. Steel needs to be 1 shot 1 steel falls. Good luck, Hope this helps..