Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone reloaded 9mm with 160RN?

NicVerAZ

I do not necessarily believe it to be a good ammo for USPSA or Steel matches with heavy poppers and activators, but for IDPA and steel challenge, it may work.

That said, has anyone ever reloaded with these bullets and what is your experience? Recipe?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by NicVerAZ

WW231 @ 3.0gr, 1.200 OAL, mixed 9mm brass, WinSPP = about 720 fps (out of a .38 super steel gun)

WW231 @ 2.8gr, 1.160 OAL, mixed 9mm brass, WinSPP = about 760 fps (out of a .38 super steel gun)

HS6 @ 4.0gr, 1.200 OAL, mixed 9mm brass, WinSPP = about 700 fps (out of a .38 super steel gun)

HS6 @ 4.3gr, 1.200 OAL, mixed 9mm brass, WinSPP = about 745 fps (out of a .38 super steel gun)

Note that the OALs are long and I'm using these in an old .38 super steel gun, but you can shorten them up to fit your gun and adjust the load accordingly. I inherited a bunch of good quality 160gr RN lead bullets and have been using them in the .38 super (and .38 special revolver)for steel and paper target matches. Very accurate and they shoot soft, so if you got them nothing wrong with using them at'tall. Shot these for a few seasons in a week day evening PPC type league and did very well with them. So, Load 'em if you got 'em!

Edited by Bamboo

• 3 weeks later...

I also tried N320 (2.8-2.9gr) under Bayou 160 RN. Very easy shooting, BUT, changed POI significantly depending on gun/barrel length. 4"-4.25" seems to have good accuracy, but in our M&P Pro's which have 5" barrels, POI at 10 yards was raised 3"+. Just got more at longer distances. Accuracy still good, but would have to do something on sights to stay with this combo in these guns. But like others have said, super soft shooting. A buddies XD and another's High Power LOVED this load.

But not so soft that dropping back down to 125-135gr bullet isn't just easier for my purposes. while the 160 is very soft shooting, not so much difference at my skill level to make it worth changing sights again on a couple of guns. I run multiple platforms, so would prefer something I can shoot in all of them without changing my accuracy.