Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building an AR Upper

Scott G

How hard is it to build an AR upper? It seems like it is more of an assembly issue than a building/fitting/customizing one.

Are there any little nuances involved, or it is really as simple as torquing in a barrel, getting the gas ports lined up, and putting on a hand guard?

It's just that simple....until it isn't. And then it can drive you to drink. As long as you don't go cutting, soldering or drilling anything, there isn't a lot you can do wrong, and what you can do wrong with your bare hands and a wrench or two can be fixed by someone who'se been there before and has the right tool. (And maybe a few spare parts.)

Give it a try, tell us what happened, and post photos.

OK, what's the recommended vise/block for working on the upper? What type of wrench should I buy? Is there a wrench out there that's compatible with a 3/8" drive torque wrench?

(I want a threaded barrel on my upper, but figure it's going to be about as cheap and easy to swap barrels myself than wait 6-8 mos to get it through the gunsmith.)

Eric,

That's what I'm going to do as well. I want to rebarrel, recomp (Benny Hill), and put a FF tube on my Bushmaster.

Who is the best source for a light 18 or 20 inch barrel? I couldn't find anything obvious on the DPMS website, and I'm trying to find a less costly alternative to the JP barrels.

BTW, the free float tube I was given (by my dear Uncle Bill) already is drilled for a bipod stud. Does anyone sell the shims that I may need in order to get the hole oriented in the proper direction? (I haven't ever seen such a thing, but was told they exist.)

Get the action blocks from Brownells, and if they have them, the barrel nut wrench from American Spirit Arms. Don't bother with a torque wrench, you aren't going to tightne it to a certain weight, you're going to tighten it until the barrel nut notches line up with the gas tube hole.

When I took a tour of Armalite, the assemblers were using three foot pipes on the barrel nut wrenches, and the tightening was very easy to accomplish.