Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ar-15 Buffer

GM2B

Does anyone know of a buffer I can buy that will not have the retaining pin back out over a few hundred rounds? I have tried the JP low mass buffer and the DPMS buffer. I find myself punching them back in every few hundred rounds. Caused jams the first time it happened until I figured out the problem... I am running this in an ACE Buttstock. Thank in advance!

I use the Voltr A-2 buffer and spring. After over 4500 rounds everything is still ok. You might want to remove the retaining pin and spring and check them and maybe even change them out.

I think he's talking about the roll pin holding the rubber on the end of the buffer.

I use a center punch to move some metal over the hole so the pin can't run away. I only had it happen one time with a carbine buffer but that's what I do now.

I think he's talking about the roll pin holding the rubber on the end of the buffer.

I use a center punch to move some metal over the hole so the pin can't run away. I only had it happen one time with a carbine buffer but that's what I do now.

Thanks, got it now. Just checked mine.

Does anyone know of a buffer I can buy that will not have the retaining pin back out over a few hundred rounds? I have tried the JP low mass buffer and the DPMS buffer. I find myself punching them back in every few hundred rounds. Caused jams the first time it happened until I figured out the problem... I am running this in an ACE Buttstock. Thank in advance!

I have never had that happen, but this past year I am running the JP captured buffer. I wonder if your way over gassed and the buffer is hitting the back harder than most. What bullet powder combination are you running ? do you think your getting a presure spike ? is your bolt worn and letting the bolt unlock early ? what does your primers look like ?

I worked over two buffers and put in alluminum spacer in place of the carbide and still -0- problems reuseing the same bumper and pin.

I'm going to have to second that I have not had this issue in any of the 5-6 AR's I have pieced together. I've used standard buffers and JP's LMOS buffer, and done about the same as the above poster and lightened my own standard units (I replaced a few of the weights with a .30/06 case). Never had an issue with that roll pin backing out. Might you be using a carbine length spring with a rifle tube? That would give similar issues as being grossly over-gassed.

Another poster mentioned just "staking" the roll pin, and I would imagine that would work just fine as well. Another option would be to remove the pin and open it up a bit before replacing it. Get it out of the buffer, open one end a bit and into the middle of it, leave the other end a little smaller to be able to start it again and then replace. Maybe when it was assembled, the roll pin was a little bit too undersized (easier to insert that way) to maintain enough tension/friction to stay in place?

It's uncommon but not unheard of. The one I had back out was on a high round count test gun, so as a precaution I now stake it. It takes 30 seconds and it's a problem I'll never have again.

Saw it a couple of times in the military as well.

Thanks for the info guys. I am running 50 grain soft points with 25.5 of varget or 26.5 cfe and or 77smk with 24 grains of varget. I am running the JP LMOS bolt. No pressure signs on any of my brass. It may be over gassed because I can also run the 50 grain bullets with 25 grains of BLC2 at 2500FPS and it still runs flawlessly with virtually 0 recoil!! I will try peening the aluminum over the pin on my DPMS buffer. I already did that on my JP buffer but I havent been shooting that rifle much since. That is my red-dot gun.

Another problem I have had is one of my guns has burst fired on me a couple times. I change the disconnector and it did it again a 1000 rounds or so later. I am also running a JP trigger and hammer. I had Benny Hill check my disconnector and he said it was good to go. It is possible but unlikely that I had it loose on my shoulder as it happened three times completely random and I cannot get it to repeat but I am not sure and havent ever had that problem before. Heading to Tarheel in the mOrning my first major 3 gun match. Should be interesting. Jamie Foote this is Jeremy Lightner nice chatting with you on here!