Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kimber 38 Super

Precision40

I have a Kimber 38 Super 5" which goes to slide-lock only about half of the time. Have used a 13lb and 11lb recoil spring which are tuned, tried 3 different slide-stops and the problem still exists. The magazines have really stiff springs like they should, so I don't think theres not enough force to push it into slidelock. It doesn't seem to be magazine specific either. I've tried it with Wilson, McCormick and Kimber factory mags.

If I put a mag in and rack it by hand, it goes to slidelock every single time, it's just when I'm firing it and run it dry, it won't slidelock. What else could it possibly be? I'm stumped.

Do you use a shock buff???? If so take it out.

After that last shot from a mag and it doesn't lock back have you easily racked the slide to see if the part of the mag follower has gone by the slide stop bump out or if the slide then stays open.

It's very common to see that with any 1911 and the modified iso stance most everyone uses. Not a big deal if the gun shoots reliably.

You don't really NEED a cure for that unless you shoot IDPA. In which case I'd say

1. Remove shok-buffs, for matches at least,

2. Use a lighter recoil spring than what you use now,

3. AT HOME, remove the slide, re-install the slide stop, and try inserting each of your 38super magazines, empty. See how well they push up the slide stop. You should be able to press down on the slide stop & have it spring up again. If not, you need to replace your mag followers or put a slight bend-up in the center of the top leaf of the mag spring.