Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Check Yer Striker Block for Correct Function

mcracco

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To MilkMyDuds: are you going to send it to m&p for diagnostics? If yes, can you please tell us what they ended up doing to the pistol to fix this?

Fedexed out today. Definitely will keep yer all updated. Was told to expect it back in about 20-30 days.

For clarity:

APEX M&P COMPETITION ACTION ENHANCEMENT KIT

The Competition Action Enhancement Kit is designed for the action shooting sports competitor. Our drop in kit will reduce trigger weight by approximately 4lbs*. Whether the game is IDPA, USPSA, or Steel Challenge, our Competition Action Enhancement Kit will withstand the rigors of high speed competition. Our competition striker spring and trigger return spring are shot peened to extend service life.

Parts included: 8 Pcs

1. Apex Fully Machined Sear - NOTE :THIS IS NOT THE FORWARD SET SEAR (FFS)

• Apex Ultimate Striker Block kit

2. Ultimate Striker Block (Can someone from APEX clarify if the USB differs in the kits for the FFS & Fully Machined Sear)

3. Striker Block Spring

4. Talon Tactical tool

5. Apex Competition striker spring

• Apex Competition Spring Kit (Two sear springs of different sizes are included with kit)

6. Apex Competition Sear Spring 1/8" (Lg)**

7. Apex Competition Trigger Return Spring

8. Apex Slave Pin (assists with installation of trigger return spring)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

APEX M&P POLYMER FORWARD SET SEAR AND TRIGGER KIT

What it does:

The Apex Polymer Forward Set Sear and Trigger Kit features a solid polymer trigger body, with center pivoting safety. This kit will set the trigger break point farther forward than the factory trigger assembly as well as, significantly reduce the uptake and over travel (varies). It produces a trigger pull as close to a 1911 trigger as possible in a polymer frame pistol. The Polymer Forward Set Sear & Trigger Kit boasts a smooth trigger pull throughout the break. The rounded trigger face provides the user with a comfortable surface for the firing finger. The kit comes with 2 trigger return springs; one designed to produce a 4lb trigger pull, and one to produce a 5.5lb trigger pull. These two options give the end user the ability to customize their trigger pull for their specific needs.

Parts Included: 10 Pcs

1. Apex Polymer Forward Set Trigger

2. Forward Set Sear

· Ultimate Striker Block Kit (Can someone from APEX clarify if the USB differs from the CAEK kits for the & Fully Machined Sear)

3. Striker Block

4. Striker Block Spring

5. Talon Tactical tool

· Forward Set Spring Set

6. Sear Spring

7. RAM Spring (provided if you previously purchased a RAM, replace with this spring in the FSS)

8. Trigger Slave Pin

9. 4 lb Rated Trigger Return Spring

10. 5.5 lb Rated Trigger Return Spring (painted Green)

Expected results:

• Reduced trigger pre-travel and over travel to produce a feel similar to a single action fire control system.
  • A smooth trigger pull all the way through to the break.
  • Improved safety values through the use of a center mounted pivoting safety.
  • 4lbs or 5.5lbs trigger pull weight, depending on which trigger return spring is installed with the kit.

Applicable to what guns:

• All Smith & Wesson M&P Semi Auto Pistols - 9, 40, 357 Sig, and .45 ACP models included.
  • Not applicable to the M&P Shield.

Note:

• This particular product usually requires a slight modification to the trigger bar loop for proper function. Please see the Trigger Bar Loop Adjustment video in order to tune the trigger bar.
  • This kit REQUIRES the use of the larger 1/8 inch sear spring & plunger set up**.

NEW!! The Forward Set Sear and Trigger Kit now includes a Heavy Trigger Return Spring (painted Green) to provide the end user with the ability to increase their trigger pull weight to 5-5.5 lbs if you desire.

Hi all,

I figured I would chime in on this thread, however my time is limited in my response for today.

To put it bluntly, we are dealing with a wide window of tolerance variation from gun to gun. The slide to frame vertical clearances, version of trigger bar and striker assembly all have compounding effects on how our trigger kits behave.

As far as how to test striker block function, the striker should be pulled to the rear to allow the striker block plunger to return to it's functioning position. In many cases, the plastic striker guide that will interfere with the positive return of the striker block until the striker is shifted rearward to allow clearance between the plastic and the striker's blocking ledge.

This interference is often seen in unaltered stock pistols, as well as with our USBs. Our USB comes with a reduced power striker block spring which will not overcome the plastic interference of the striker guide (if present).

Current production USBs are the same for both the FSS and AEKs. If you are experiencing a problem with our USB in your pistol, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are seeing a lot of variation in where the factory is drilling the hole for the striker block in the slide, and have seen a few different versions of striker blocks in pistols being shipped to us. That is what makes our job of providing a drop in kit for these pistols very challenging at times.

As a manufacturer, we have to spec a tolerance based upon the mid-point of another manufacturer's tolerance specification. Bear in mind that the factory is turning out well over 1000 M&Ps a day. In order to do this kind of output, tolerance acceptance has to be generous.

I will try to update you and answer questions as best I can over the next few days.

Happiest of Holidays to all,

Randy

Hi all,

I figured I would chime in on this thread, however my time is limited in my response for today.

To put it bluntly, we are dealing with a wide window of tolerance variation from gun to gun. The slide to frame vertical clearances, version of trigger bar and striker assembly all have compounding effects on how our trigger kits behave.

As far as how to test striker block function, the striker should be pulled to the rear to allow the striker block plunger to return to it's functioning position. In many cases, the plastic striker guide that will interfere with the positive return of the striker block until the striker is shifted rearward to allow clearance between the plastic and the striker's blocking ledge.

This interference is often seen in unaltered stock pistols, as well as with our USBs. Our USB comes with a reduced power striker block spring which will not overcome the plastic interference of the striker guide (if present).

Current production USBs are the same for both the FSS and AEKs. If you are experiencing a problem with our USB in your pistol, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are seeing a lot of variation in where the factory is drilling the hole for the striker block in the slide, and have seen a few different versions of striker blocks in pistols being shipped to us. That is what makes our job of providing a drop in kit for these pistols very challenging at times.

As a manufacturer, we have to spec a tolerance based upon the mid-point of another manufacturer's tolerance specification. Bear in mind that the factory is turning out well over 1000 M&Ps a day. In order to do this kind of output, tolerance acceptance has to be generous.

I will try to update you and answer questions as best I can over the next few days.

Happiest of Holidays to all,

Randy

Randy, thanks for the information. This is very helpful! I think my situation belongs to this:

In many cases, the plastic striker guide that will interfere with the positive return of the striker block until the striker is shifted rearward to allow clearance between the plastic and the striker's blocking ledge.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently moved the Apex CAEK kit from my old M&P (~2008) into a late 2012 9L, plus fitted the Apex Polymer trigger (not the FSS kit).

In the old M&P it did about 10,000 rounds with just the occasional light strike. In the new gun,1500 rounds and the same, occasional light strike.

Using the video partyboy posted back on page 1, you can see how much of the striker block is visble at the point where the sear releases the striker. This shows you the minimum distance striker block needs to travel to clear the striker.

With the slide off, checking how high the striker block needs to go to release the striker, showed me it was probably not enough, and there was some peening on the shoulder of the striker.

Being on the other side of the world (Australia) I can't easily grab another striker block or ask Apex to throw one in the mail, but by measuring the stock striker blocks from my guns and one from a new FSS kit I have (but have not used yet), showed that the FSS striker block has it's "timing edge" higher. Partly from the amount of "rounding" to the head of the striker block and partly due the width of the upper land (the bit that contacts the striker) being a little narrower.

Fitted the striker block from the FSS kit and checked again and now the striker does move further (up into the slide) at the point where the sear releases the striker.

Only had one short IPSC competition, 150 rounds, and it's perfect so far.

In summary, late 2012 9L, with CAEK (except still using stock striker spring), "S" trigger bar and Apex Polymer trigger. Gives a nice crisp 2.5-2.7 pound trigger.

I hope this helps

Regards

Paul D

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry I almost forgot about updating.

I got my gun back after about 25 days. They did not do anything to the gun. They told me (via a phone call) that as long as the striker block engages when the ledge is pushed back a little with my finger, it is fine. The justification is that in a real world scenario, the striker block will always be pushed back a little whenever there is a round in the chamber.

I have been using it for 5 live fire sessions since then for about 1000 rounds. Works flawlessly so far.