Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is a good grip for the 646?

Northern Xtreme

Before anyone gives me hell, I did a search and couldnt find anything on this.

I have been shooting auto's for the last few years, but before that I competed with the revolver in Bianchi Cup, and PPC.

I am considering getting a new revolver for IDPA shooting. I have always liked the L frame and own several 686's.

I want to get something with moon clips, I dont want the N frame, and the tough part is I hate the round butt frame, but I guess I will have to live with that.

Recently I have been looking at the 646, I like the fact its an L frame, and that it doesnt have the stupid key lock entry safety system, but I hate the butt of the gun.

My main question is: What kind of grips are you guys using?

I would want a grip that makes the butt seem longer so I can get more of my hand on it. I would really like one that makes it feel like a square butt.

My favorite revolver grip is the old Bill Davis grip in case any of you are familiar with that one.

On another thought:

I have also been considering the 38 super 686 for IDPA, but I probably cant get one without the key, and I have heard that the larger caliber is faster to reload, although I never had any probelm reloading fast with my 686 and comp 3 speedloaders.

Maybe I can send in my square butt L frame to S&W and get them to convert it to either 38 super or .40 S&W.

I welcome comments and opinions from you people that have been playing the wheelgun games more recently than I have.

Northern, (let me try this again!!)

I have all N frames with round butts. I use Hogue wooden grips for them. You can get these grips in "square butt size" for the L frames. Also you can get "big butt grips" which are longer and have a wider base and are good for shooting prone. Check their web site for more info HOGUE GRIPS.

Dan

Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am familiar with Hogue grips, they were the best grips for Bianchi Cup revolvers. But I want a grip that will make a round but feel like a square butt.

But most importantly I wanted to know a good grip for the S&W 646 that has a cut off round butt type frame.

I didnt see anything like that on the Hogue website, maybe I am missing it. What are you people who shoot the 646 using?

Northern: I'm using the Miculeks on my 646, and really like them for light to medium loads. (Not terribly comfortable with "major" IPSC stuff....) They give you a decent handful and they're very fast on the draw. If you buy a pair (Brownells carries them) and don't like them, they're easy to sell here or on the S&W forum.

Mike

Northern....i think what you want is the hogue "conversion" grips....converts round butt to a square butt feel.....look on hogue auction...for a cheap pair of seconds.....or get a pair of square butt grips and slap them on...just fill in the void behind the round part with epoxy or or something to keep them tight.

Standard Hogue rubber or wood grips are very close to the same size outside for K, L, and N. The difference is inside. If you are looking for a hand filling grip, try Safariland Gripper. You can usually find them for $10 in a shop that has an "Old Grip Bin"

As for conversions, S&W does not do conversions unless they have had a very recent policy change. You will probably need a gunsmith for that type of work.

Regards,