Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super IDPA Load

Tokarev

Hey.

I'm looking for some dope for a 130 grain FMJ bullet at 125 PF for use in my single stack Super. I use Longshot in my Limited gun and would rather not buy a whole nother jug of powder just for the Super.

Can anybody supply me with a nice starting load?

Thanks.

As I said in my first post, I don't want to buy more powder just for this one caliber. Doesn't somebody have a copy of the latest Hodgdon guide? I'm just looking for a starting load that'll get me about a 125 PF.

Longshot was specifically designed for Heavy 12G loads. It is slightly slower than HS7, and that is useless in 38Super if you try to go slow.

The best light recoiling loads for IDPA / NRA Ap use are powders like Titegroup, WST, 231, V V N320 or that sort of burn rate.

I honestly suggest you get the idea of using one powder for all the loads in a 38Super, use a fast burning powder for the light recoiling loads. It is more accurate and easier to get the results you want.

IF you insist on staying with Longshot, start by reducing the std start load by 10% and see what happens. You should discover that the Standard deviation and Extreme spreads for the loads will be crap. Accuracy is also likely to be less than good.

I have a good load using Titegroup (4.4gr) for the 125gr projectile start with that with your 130gr and see what happens. I suspect that it will be around the 4.0-4.2gr for you.

Sorry I can't help with longshot, I reckon it won't work that well anyways so you should look at fast burners.

I understand that Longshot isn't the best choice for a light Super load. The reason I am looking for data is so I can use this crap up. I bought eight pounds of it and don't care for it. If I use an extra grain or two over a light load with 231 or whatever, so much the better!

Hornady shows the starting load for a 130 grain bullet as 6.0 grains of Longshot, for 1104 fps and 24K in pressure.

I imagine that is as low as you can go without the result looking like an attampt at loading black powder in some weird Cowboy Action .38 Super load. (That is, lots of smoke, unburnt powder and foul language.)

If you can live with 143PF for IDPA, go for it. Ohterwise, don't be cheap, buy the correct powder, and get on with your practice.

There is no one powder that will do everything. If you load more than one cartridge/power level, you're going to collect different powders.