Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Steelmaster Barrel and Slide fit onto 1911s?

Scramblerx

I’m wondering if the barrel and slide from the 2011 steelmatch will fit on an STI 1911 Ranger II.

Anybody try something like this. I have an email into STI but haven’t heard anything back.

The ranger is a full sized frame with a 4.15” slide.

Thanks for reply! The ranger comes with a recoil master so maybe i could go to a standard rod with lighter spring for the reduced wieght. Or are you saying there might be a problem due to design differences of the 1911 vs 2011?

Thanks for reply! The ranger comes with a recoil master so maybe i could go to a standard rod with lighter spring for the reduced wieght. Or are you saying there might be a problem due to design differences of the 1911 vs 2011?

The ranger has the short recoil system, I think the steel master uses a full 5" recoil system, so I'm not sure about this part of the gun, it depends on how the reverse plug was cut on the steel master.

Other than what Coco mentioned, the slide to frame fit will be the next biggest problem. I have yet to pull a slide off of one my 1911/2011 and have them slide right on and work with another frame. I have had to get a gunsmith fit them every time, in fact, I have one set in with my local gunsmith to fit a new slide to an older frame.

Since you have two standardized, mass produced type firearms, you just may get lucky.

I have two sti factory guns. The slides and frames are not interchangeable. A STI factory guy told me that a smith fits every gun they make. Obviously the more you spend the better the fitting gets. You can always take away but its hard to add to. So if the fit is to tight, you may be able to get them together yourself. To loose, and you will be welding up to make it work.

The op didn't say new or used, and the slide fit is a given, square peg won't fit in round hole. If it is too tight it can be fit tight like a custom gun, a little lose forget the welding, put it on the gun, provided the barrel is fit properly and locks up and times properly, take it out and shoot groups if the groups are good go with if not sell it a move on.