Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wilson mag or gun probs? (solution found)

simonsay

I recently started having problems with a wilson magazine during a match. I thought it was me. The mag will not keep the mag catch engaged. Slam it home or slowly push it in until you hear/feel the click and you can most of the time wiggle it out. I had concluded it to be the mag but while killing time I found another that will do the same thing with much less frequency. All others work perfectly. Is the catch wearing out? This is a custom gun on a les baer frame with less than 1500 thru it but it gets its share of dry work. Suggestions please. And yes everything is clean.

Thanks gorilla The mag catch had too little metal remaining for a positive lockup. A new wilson catch thru brownells and now works as it should.

I have been reading posts here for about a year and finally had to register to ask a Q. Thanks to this site for the continued valuable info.

Get a new mag release. That should solve your problem. It has nothing to do with the follower or spring, whatsoever. If the mag release doesn't solve your problem (with it happening on two mags, it seems the likely culprit), the mag body is probably out of shape. Get in contact with Wilson and tell them as much. My guess is that it's a combination of the two (slightly undersized mag body on the Wilson and worn/faulty mag release), but that the problem can be "solved" by a new release.

Good luck and welcome!

When the mag catch on a 1911 is not being engaged, it is usually b/c the follower is not coming up far enough to engage it. You might want to try a new mag spring and/or a new follower for that mag.

I think you may be confusing "mag catch" with "slide stop."

Gorilla

Same thing I was thinking. I'll do some measuring. I would think a mag release would last me two lifetimes, at least in dog years. The frame and its parts are hard chromed. I just cant understand how it runs flawless and then all the sudden turns tits up.

Gorilla

Same thing I was thinking. I'll do some measuring. I would think a mag release would last me two lifetimes, at least in dog years. The frame and its parts are hard chromed. I just cant understand how it runs flawless and then all the sudden turns tits up.

Bad heat-treat will turn it into pot metal real quick.