Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Farthest shot in ICORE and level of accuracy needed

I am interested in icore classic division and am trying to develop a load. What is the typical and longest distance for targets in ICORE? I have honestly never shot at 50 yards but can print pretty decent offhand, double action groups at 25 yards. What I am wondering is... Do the accuracy demands of ICORE require 50 yard, bench rested load development? If so, what kind of groups do I need? I searched for quite a while on the forum and didn't come up with anything.

Thanks, Sam

I shoot at a small club in Florida (averages 20 shooters per match) and am no ICORE expert, but I have won Classic at every match I've shot. I've never seen a paper target beyond 35 yards. The longer targets were steel gongs, out to 50 yards, but they were 18x24 steel plates and there are no scoring rings - you just 'ring' the steel.

I would say (and do myself) get a load 'drilled dead on at 25 yards' and you should be good to go for any ICORE situation. With a 120 PF load ( I run Long Colt brass with a 158 RN at about 790 fps) there will not be enough drop at 35 yards to take you out of the A Zone, and more than close enough to ring a 50 yard plate.

ICORE is the most accuracy intensive action pistol game (I also shoot IDPA and USPSA) but you are still drilling a 8 inch A Zone (and sometimes get bonus time for hitting the 4 inch X Zone).... but a 'dead on' 25 yard freestyle zero is, IMHO, good to go. VMMV.

I have not shot the Far and Near standards anywhere except our local match, that was to get ready for the IRC, and maybe one regional besides the IRC. You need to keep them all in the A zone at 50 with iron sights and hit 2 x's in the process. For the open guns one needs to be able to hit the X ring a little more at 50. It all dependant how well you can see the rings at 50. Just a thought. later rdd

Wow, the x-ring is 4". I guess 8" a 50 yards offhand is what I should shoot for. I would think that 2-3" off a rest is needed for a decent shooter to make 50 yard A zone hits offhand. It looks like I need to practice my long game and get some confidence before showing up to a match.

SamboSon, yup, Volusia. Third Saturday of the month. Good group, good folks, good match, and MD Mike Wiggens gets the scores up within a day or so. Just remember that when you go through a gate you have to close it, unless there is a vehicle right behind you. Get in from the entrance on SR44, and bear to the right, all the way to the end. Bring at least six speedloader holders, or have generous pants pockets. The have some long stages.

I'm not certain if I'll be there this weekend, but my name is Chris, and most of the folks there know me. You can Google their web site for all the info you need.

BTW... Central Florida Rifle & Pistol Club also holds ICORE matches. The are just off Narcossee Road, south of Orlando. I think they are the fourth Sunday of the month. If you're 20 minutes away from Volusia, you might be within an hour of them. Dick Devittorio is the MD, and I've heard he runs a good match, although I haven't shot there yet because it's 2.30 hours away from me.

• 2 months later...

I shoot ICORE at cfrpc and they do put on a good match. It is the forth sunday of the month. Check them out at Centural Floadia Rifle and Pistol Club website Have not made it to Volusia yet but several of people I shoot with go there. We most all live near Williston.