Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP Modular Trigger Set

PacMan

The much anticipated JP modular trigger set is ready to be released, I just called John and it is about 2 to 3 weeks out. I checked the web page and there it was, in full description. Mine is now on JP's backlog :D I played with one at the RM3G match in Raton..."WOW :wub: " and "I want it now" were my reactions. Just in time for another AR build guys.

Here are some of the technical gleened off from JP site:

[i]"The JP Module has five adjustments, three are preset in house by JP, two are user adjustable. They are as follows:

1. Sear engagement. (preset by JP)

2. Over travel. (preset by JP)

3. Disconnector timing (preset by JP)

4. Weight of pull. (preset by JP but user adjustable within a range)

5. Safety engagement. (must by set by user for the particular receiver)"[/i]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Got my modular trigger unit in a week before SMM3G so I decided to leave my rifle alone until after the match (I reckoned that it would not be wise to mess with the heart of my rifle before a big event :P )

Just installed it this weekend, here are some observations:

Construction - Like every JP piece of accessories, the modular trigger unit is a work of art, even the housing shell is nicely finished and anodized :) . The furnished pins are non-walking type with C-clips, however, they are not required since the standard pins would be tensioned against the receiver via two set screws at the bottom of the housing shell. I used my standard KNS stainless steel pins since I don't like the pins sticking out beyond the receiver. The trigger is actually a straight blade with a scallop cut in front.

B) What cool about the JP modular trigger unit - A switchable (righty or lefty) 2-piece safety lever, when set up in conjunction with the housing set screws, allows the trigger unit to be custom fitted into different receivers, optimizing its setting. (I'm sure JP would sell just the safety lever for use as right hand safety set up for the south paws instead of the clunky ambidextrous lever.)

Installation - Took me more time to degrease and lock-tite prepped the 5 set screws than the installation itself.

Result - Haven't had it out to the range yet, but it is one sweet trigger during safety check and dry firing. There is no creep, no overtravel whatsoever. Basically, it has the same release and pull weight as my other 2 JP triggers, but took less than 10 minutes to install. I recalled it took me more than 30 minutes alone just to fit the tail of one JP trigger to the safety lever in my other RRA lower receiver.

Price wise, at $199 retail, you get the whole enchilada (speed hammer, trigger unit) already tuned, and the nifty safety lever. I would say that JP got a winner here ;)