Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do I train in realistic competition conditions

Zoomy

How am I able to train for actual competitions when most ranges just have the standard pistol ranges and target stands and do not allow drawing from a holster or rapid fire? The only time I have been able to do so was when a RO invited me to the range when it was closed and we could make our own setups and train as we liked.

There's no semi private / member range around that allows it? Other than that maybe buy some land and build your own range.

The closest one that I could find is a two hour drive.

I feel for you. You've got to really want it with those conditions. I'd be looking for another hobby.

How about Airsoft in your back yard, lots of dryfire, local range once a week for transistion and long range shooting skills and staying connected to live fire (can you shoot multiple targets there?) and consider driving the 2 hours at least once a week to the range where you can use a bay.

Dryfire at home, work on draws, reloads and movement. Go to local range to work on accuracy. Plan maybe once a month, or as often as you can to go to the range 2 hours away for some live practice, it sucks but if you can make a day trip out if it, load lot of ammo ahead of time, then try to make the most out if it.

Thanks guys. It looks like there are 4 matches per month April thru October in my area within an hours drive. I belong to one of those ranges but thats the one with the strict rules. I have to call the other one and see if I can use one of thier bays for practice.